May 19, 2011, 10:44 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jim Riggleman argues with umpire Phil Cuzzi after a crucial missed call.
NEW YORK — Inside an otherwise silent clubhouse a few minutes after Thursday’s 1-0 loss to the Mets — as agonizing a loss as the Nationals have suffered this season — one veteran player yelled out what plenty of his teammates surely were also thinking.
“I want to be an umpire when I grow up,” the player said, with plenty of indignation. “No responsibility. No accountability.”
The reference was to Phil Cuzzi, whose blown call at first base in the top of the ninth made the challenge facing the Nationals needlessly tougher than it already was. Jayson Werth had appeared to beat out a grounder to third. And even if the throw was in time, first baseman Daniel Murphy’s foot clearly came off the bag as he stretched.
“He was safe when the guy got off the bag, and he was safe because he beat the throw,” starter Livan Hernandez said. “I think he made a big mistake, the umpire there, because it’s not about his foot is off the bag. It’s safe because he beat the throw. He was safe two times.”
Werth argued with Cuzzi. So did first base coach Dan Radison. So did Jim Riggleman, who also had words with plate umpire Manny Gonzalez
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager