May 19, 2011, 10:44 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jim Riggleman argues with umpire Phil Cuzzi after a crucial missed call.
NEW YORK — Inside an otherwise silent clubhouse a few minutes after Thursday’s 1-0 loss to the Mets — as agonizing a loss as the Nationals have suffered this season — one veteran player yelled out what plenty of his teammates surely were also thinking.
“I want to be an umpire when I grow up,” the player said, with plenty of indignation. “No responsibility. No accountability.”
The reference was to Phil Cuzzi, whose blown call at first base in the top of the ninth made the challenge facing the Nationals needlessly tougher than it already was. Jayson Werth had appeared to beat out a grounder to third. And even if the throw was in time, first baseman Daniel Murphy’s foot clearly came off the bag as he stretched.
“He was safe when the guy got off the bag, and he was safe because he beat the throw,” starter Livan Hernandez said. “I think he made a big mistake, the umpire there, because it’s not about his foot is off the bag. It’s safe because he beat the throw. He was safe two times.”
Werth argued with Cuzzi. So did first base coach Dan Radison. So did Jim Riggleman, who also had words with plate umpire Manny Gonzalez
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants