May 19, 2011, 4:17 AM EDT
Associated Press file photo
After an 0-for-4 night, Adam LaRoche is now hitting .177, worst in the NL.
NEW YORK — Adam LaRoche has gone through this before. He’s gone through almost every year he’s been in the big leagues. He gets off to an incredibly slow start at the plate, then heats up over the summer and finishes with consistently strong offensive numbers by season’s end.
So the Nationals first baseman tries to tell himself the 2011 version of his early-season slump is no worse than any previous one, and take solace in knowing he will come out of this. He always does.
Yet there’s no one agonizing over LaRoche’s current struggles more than LaRoche himself.
“I feel like I’m close one day and then not the next,” he said Wednesday after going 0-for-4 during the Nationals’ 3-0 loss to the Mets. “And it’s getting pretty frustrating trying to find it.”
The entire Nationals lineup is getting pretty frustrated with its ongoing display of offensive ineptitude. Washington has now been shut out six times in 42 games this season, a once-a-week pace that is tough to
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'