May 19, 2011, 4:17 AM EDT
Associated Press file photo
After an 0-for-4 night, Adam LaRoche is now hitting .177, worst in the NL.
NEW YORK — Adam LaRoche has gone through this before. He’s gone through almost every year he’s been in the big leagues. He gets off to an incredibly slow start at the plate, then heats up over the summer and finishes with consistently strong offensive numbers by season’s end.
So the Nationals first baseman tries to tell himself the 2011 version of his early-season slump is no worse than any previous one, and take solace in knowing he will come out of this. He always does.
Yet there’s no one agonizing over LaRoche’s current struggles more than LaRoche himself.
“I feel like I’m close one day and then not the next,” he said Wednesday after going 0-for-4 during the Nationals’ 3-0 loss to the Mets. “And it’s getting pretty frustrating trying to find it.”
The entire Nationals lineup is getting pretty frustrated with its ongoing display of offensive ineptitude. Washington has now been shut out six times in 42 games this season, a once-a-week pace that is tough to
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win