May 20, 2011, 2:13 AM EDT
NEW YORK — Major League Baseball will review a report filed by umpire Phil Cuzzi alleging a verbal altercation with Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo following Thursday's game at Citi Field.
An MLB spokesman confirmed newly hired vice president of on-field operations Joe Torre will review the report filed by Cuzzi. The New York Daily News first reported the incident and subsequent complaint.
The issue stems from a call Cuzzi missed in the ninth inning of Thursday's 1-0 loss to the Mets. With one out and a man on second, the Nationals' Jayson Werth hit a sharp grounder down the third-base line, then appeared to beat Justin Turner's wide throw to first. Even if the throw was on time, New York first baseman Daniel Murphy's foot came off the bag before he caught the ball.
"He was safe when the guy got off the bag, and he was safe because he beat the throw," right-hander Livan Hernandez said. "I think he made a big mistake, the umpire there, because it's not about his foot is off the bag. It's safe because he beat the throw. He was safe twoRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to stay red-hot in Atlanta
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching