May 20, 2011, 10:46 PM EDT
BALTIMORE — Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo says he called Major League Baseball executive vice president for baseball operations Joe Torre “immediately” after his incident with umpires following Thursday’s loss in New York and insisted that incident had “absolutely nothing to do” with Phil Cuzzi’s ninth-inning blown call.
Torre received a formal report filed by Thursday’s crew detailing a verbal altercation between Rizzo and the umpires shortly after the conclusion of the Nationals’ 1-0 loss to the Mets, an MLB spokesman confirmed.
Rizzo, though, insisted he is not the sole focus of the investigation.
“I contacted Joe Torre immediately after the incident with the umpires, and he assured me that despite a lot of the reports in the media, this by no means is an investigation against Mike Rizzo,” the GM said before Friday night’s game against the Orioles. “This is an investigation of what happened after the game.”
Citing the “ongoing investigation,” Rizzo wouldn’t offer any details about what did happen in the corridor outside the visitors’ clubhouse at Citi Field. The New York Daily News reported that Rizzo got into a verbal altercation with Cuzzi, who minutes earlier incorrectly called Jayson Werth out at first base despite the throw pulling New York’s
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology