May 20, 2011, 10:46 PM EST
BALTIMORE — Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo says he called Major League Baseball executive vice president for baseball operations Joe Torre “immediately” after his incident with umpires following Thursday’s loss in New York and insisted that incident had “absolutely nothing to do” with Phil Cuzzi’s ninth-inning blown call.
Torre received a formal report filed by Thursday’s crew detailing a verbal altercation between Rizzo and the umpires shortly after the conclusion of the Nationals’ 1-0 loss to the Mets, an MLB spokesman confirmed.
Rizzo, though, insisted he is not the sole focus of the investigation.
“I contacted Joe Torre immediately after the incident with the umpires, and he assured me that despite a lot of the reports in the media, this by no means is an investigation against Mike Rizzo,” the GM said before Friday night’s game against the Orioles. “This is an investigation of what happened after the game.”
Citing the “ongoing investigation,” Rizzo wouldn’t offer any details about what did happen in the corridor outside the visitors’ clubhouse at Citi Field. The New York Daily News reported that Rizzo got into a verbal altercation with Cuzzi, who minutes earlier incorrectly called Jayson Werth out at first base despite the throw pulling New York’s
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals