May 20, 2011, 10:46 PM EST
BALTIMORE — Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo says he called Major League Baseball executive vice president for baseball operations Joe Torre “immediately” after his incident with umpires following Thursday’s loss in New York and insisted that incident had “absolutely nothing to do” with Phil Cuzzi’s ninth-inning blown call.
Torre received a formal report filed by Thursday’s crew detailing a verbal altercation between Rizzo and the umpires shortly after the conclusion of the Nationals’ 1-0 loss to the Mets, an MLB spokesman confirmed.
Rizzo, though, insisted he is not the sole focus of the investigation.
“I contacted Joe Torre immediately after the incident with the umpires, and he assured me that despite a lot of the reports in the media, this by no means is an investigation against Mike Rizzo,” the GM said before Friday night’s game against the Orioles. “This is an investigation of what happened after the game.”
Citing the “ongoing investigation,” Rizzo wouldn’t offer any details about what did happen in the corridor outside the visitors’ clubhouse at Citi Field. The New York Daily News reported that Rizzo got into a verbal altercation with Cuzzi, who minutes earlier incorrectly called Jayson Werth out at first base despite the throw pulling New York’s
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen
- Nats roster preview: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bryce Harper has tickets to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing