May 21, 2011, 4:33 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa rounds the bases after his second-inning homer.
BALTIMORE — It began, as so many offensive explosions do, with one fantastic at-bat.
When Danny Espinosa battled his way through a 10-pitch marathon against Jake Arrieta in the top of the second Friday night, fouling off five straight pitches before crushing a three-run homer, the Nationals dugout sprung to life.
“It was a big, big at-bat,” teammate Jayson Werth said. “It kind of set the tone for the whole game.”
Did it ever. By night’s end, after you had alternated between watching another home run fly out of Camden Yards while also trying to keep track of how many new club records had been broken during the Nationals’ 17-5 thumping of the Orioles, you couldn’t help but think back to Espinosa’s ice-breaker.
And you couldn’t help but think how that one big at-bat erased all the bad vibes from the previous two days and opened the floodgates for the most-enjoyable game of the season.
What records did the Nationals establish during this onslaught?
— They hit six home runs, most since the franchise arrived in town.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins