May 21, 2011, 4:33 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa rounds the bases after his second-inning homer.
BALTIMORE — It began, as so many offensive explosions do, with one fantastic at-bat.
When Danny Espinosa battled his way through a 10-pitch marathon against Jake Arrieta in the top of the second Friday night, fouling off five straight pitches before crushing a three-run homer, the Nationals dugout sprung to life.
“It was a big, big at-bat,” teammate Jayson Werth said. “It kind of set the tone for the whole game.”
Did it ever. By night’s end, after you had alternated between watching another home run fly out of Camden Yards while also trying to keep track of how many new club records had been broken during the Nationals’ 17-5 thumping of the Orioles, you couldn’t help but think back to Espinosa’s ice-breaker.
And you couldn’t help but think how that one big at-bat erased all the bad vibes from the previous two days and opened the floodgates for the most-enjoyable game of the season.
What records did the Nationals establish during this onslaught?
– They hit six home runs, most since the franchise arrived in town.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'