May 21, 2011, 4:33 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa rounds the bases after his second-inning homer.
BALTIMORE — It began, as so many offensive explosions do, with one fantastic at-bat.
When Danny Espinosa battled his way through a 10-pitch marathon against Jake Arrieta in the top of the second Friday night, fouling off five straight pitches before crushing a three-run homer, the Nationals dugout sprung to life.
“It was a big, big at-bat,” teammate Jayson Werth said. “It kind of set the tone for the whole game.”
Did it ever. By night’s end, after you had alternated between watching another home run fly out of Camden Yards while also trying to keep track of how many new club records had been broken during the Nationals’ 17-5 thumping of the Orioles, you couldn’t help but think back to Espinosa’s ice-breaker.
And you couldn’t help but think how that one big at-bat erased all the bad vibes from the previous two days and opened the floodgates for the most-enjoyable game of the season.
What records did the Nationals establish during this onslaught?
– They hit six home runs, most since the franchise arrived in town.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres