May 22, 2011, 3:12 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's the rubber game of the Battle of the Beltways today at Camden Yards.
BALTIMORE — Interleague play allows for a bit of lineup tinkering, and Jim Riggleman is trying something a little different for today's series finale against the Orioles: Both of his catchers are starting.
Ivan Rodriguez will be behind the plate, but Wilson Ramos will serve as DH. Can't fault the logic behind this move, because both guys have been among the Nationals' better hitters of late. And even if something were to happen to Pudge, Ramos could take over as catcher and the Nats would simply lose the DH and play by NL rules the rest of the way.
Adam LaRoche also gets today off, with Michael Morse starting at first base. Obviously, Riggleman sacrifices some defense by doing that, but LaRoche has shown no signs of snapping out of his season-long funk at the plate, and Morse has been swinging a bit of a hot bat himself (5 for his last 12).
Check back all afternoon for updates…
NATIONALS at ORIOLES
Where: Camden Yards
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN, MASN2, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 181
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 11 mph in from RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
LF Laynce Nix
RF Jayson Werth
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation
- Nationals sign former All-Star reliever to minor league deal