May 22, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
BALTIMORE — Adam LaRoche will have his ailing left shoulder re-examined in New York after the Nationals first baseman admitted it's been affecting his swing.
LaRoche found out in spring training he has a partially torn labrum in his shoulder, an injury that hampered his ability to throw but didn't hinder his ability to swing.
But as he struggled his way through the worst start to any of his eight big-league seasons, LaRoche began to accept something was wrong. His .172 average ranks second-to-last in the NL, and on Saturday, he snapped an 0-for-26 streak.
What really troubled LaRoche, though, was the fact he's drawing walks at a higher rate than any other time in his career while striking out less often. That told him he wasn't hitting the ball as well as he should, perhaps a result of him not being able to drive with his top (left) hand.
LaRoche, who was out of the lineup Sunday, said he will travel to New York to get a new opinion on the shoulder. He is expected to rejoin theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today