May 22, 2011, 10:49 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jim Riggleman argues with plate umpire Todd Tichenor in the top of the first.
BALTIMORE — Jordan Zimmermann was cruising, baffling the Orioles with an assortment of fastballs, curveballs and sliders and showing no signs of letting up when he took the mound for the bottom of the seventh Sunday at Camden Yards.
So why did there still seem to be a sense of impending doom for the Nationals? Sure, they led 1-0 behind Zimmermann’s brilliance. But after squandering so many opportunities to add to that lead earlier, it would only take one mistake by the right-hander to swing this game in the opposite direction.
That one mistake, alas, came in the bottom of the seventh. And it came to perhaps the Orioles’ most-feared hitter: Vladimir Guerrero, who dropped Zimmermann’s 0-2 curveball into the left-field bleachers and sent the Nationals to a tough-to-swallow, 2-1 loss in the finale of this weekend’s interleague series.
A game that saw manager Jim Riggleman get ejected only two pitches into the top of the first ultimately was decided by the Nationals’ continued inability to convert with men on base and on Guerrero’s 441st career homer.
That home run came on a breaking ball at the knees, a pitch that would normally be acceptable. Against Guerrero, one of the greatest bad-ball hitters in history, it was the equivalent of a hanging beach
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?