May 22, 2011, 10:49 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jim Riggleman argues with plate umpire Todd Tichenor in the top of the first.
BALTIMORE — Jordan Zimmermann was cruising, baffling the Orioles with an assortment of fastballs, curveballs and sliders and showing no signs of letting up when he took the mound for the bottom of the seventh Sunday at Camden Yards.
So why did there still seem to be a sense of impending doom for the Nationals? Sure, they led 1-0 behind Zimmermann’s brilliance. But after squandering so many opportunities to add to that lead earlier, it would only take one mistake by the right-hander to swing this game in the opposite direction.
That one mistake, alas, came in the bottom of the seventh. And it came to perhaps the Orioles’ most-feared hitter: Vladimir Guerrero, who dropped Zimmermann’s 0-2 curveball into the left-field bleachers and sent the Nationals to a tough-to-swallow, 2-1 loss in the finale of this weekend’s interleague series.
A game that saw manager Jim Riggleman get ejected only two pitches into the top of the first ultimately was decided by the Nationals’ continued inability to convert with men on base and on Guerrero’s 441st career homer.
That home run came on a breaking ball at the knees, a pitch that would normally be acceptable. Against Guerrero, one of the greatest bad-ball hitters in history, it was the equivalent of a hanging beach
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats cut two more, reducing healthy roster to 27
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee