May 22, 2011, 12:38 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam Jones slides in ahead of Wilson Ramos’ tag during the Nats’ 8-3 loss.
BALTIMORE — Most ballgames — even lopsided ones like the Nationals’ 8-3 loss to the Orioles on Saturday — are decided by a handful of key moments over the course of nine innings.
Sure enough, the outcome of this one hinged on two things: 1) John Lannan’s inability to stop the bleeding during the laborious third inning, and 2) Matt Stairs’ inability to put together a quality at-bat in a big spot in the sixth.
The rest was mostly window-dressing, with the Orioles piling on late and running away with a comfortable victory one night after getting torched by the Nationals for a club-record 17 runs.
Things might have looked different, especially had Lannan managed to navigate his way through that fateful third inning and limit the damage instead of allowing four runs on five hits and a walk.
It began with a free pass to Mark Reynolds followed by a home run from Nolan Reimold, with Lannan falling behind in the count 3-0 against each batter. He did retire the next two hitters he faced, but then served up back-to-back-to-back-to-back singles, three of them
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off