May 23, 2011, 10:07 PM EST
The Nationals have placed Adam LaRoche on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder tear, but the first baseman will not undergo surgery yet and hopes a couple weeks of rest will help alleviate the problem.
LaRoche, who was not in the lineup yesterday in Baltimore, flew to New York to have the shoulder re-examined. He will not rejoin the club in Milwaukee for the three-game series that begins tonight.
A corresponding move will be made tomorrow, with outfielder Rick Ankiel likely to come off the 15-day DL. Ankiel, out the last three weeks with a sprained right wrist, is set to begin a brief rehab assignment tonight with Class AA Harrisburg.
LaRoche found out in spring training he has a partially torn labrum in his shoulder, an injury that hampered his ability to throw but didn’t hinder his ability to swing.
But as he struggled his way through the worst start to any of his eight
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence