May 23, 2011, 10:07 PM EST
The Nationals have placed Adam LaRoche on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder tear, but the first baseman will not undergo surgery yet and hopes a couple weeks of rest will help alleviate the problem.
LaRoche, who was not in the lineup yesterday in Baltimore, flew to New York to have the shoulder re-examined. He will not rejoin the club in Milwaukee for the three-game series that begins tonight.
A corresponding move will be made tomorrow, with outfielder Rick Ankiel likely to come off the 15-day DL. Ankiel, out the last three weeks with a sprained right wrist, is set to begin a brief rehab assignment tonight with Class AA Harrisburg.
LaRoche found out in spring training he has a partially torn labrum in his shoulder, an injury that hampered his ability to throw but didn’t hinder his ability to swing.
But as he struggled his way through the worst start to any of his eight
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires