May 23, 2011, 10:07 PM EDT
The Nationals have placed Adam LaRoche on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder tear, but the first baseman will not undergo surgery yet and hopes a couple weeks of rest will help alleviate the problem.
LaRoche, who was not in the lineup yesterday in Baltimore, flew to New York to have the shoulder re-examined. He will not rejoin the club in Milwaukee for the three-game series that begins tonight.
A corresponding move will be made tomorrow, with outfielder Rick Ankiel likely to come off the 15-day DL. Ankiel, out the last three weeks with a sprained right wrist, is set to begin a brief rehab assignment tonight with Class AA Harrisburg.
LaRoche found out in spring training he has a partially torn labrum in his shoulder, an injury that hampered his ability to throw but didn’t hinder his ability to swing.
But as he struggled his way through the worst start to any of his eight
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond
- Nationals recall Barrett, send Cedeno to AAA
- Clippard: "No one is going to feel sorry for me" (VIDEO)
- Desmond, Clippard unravel in eighth inning of Nats' loss
- Williams shows faith in Clippard despite struggles