May 23, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg has crossed another major milestone in his recovery from Tommy John surgery.
The Nationals right-hander threw off a bullpen mound today in Viera, Fla., for the first time since having reconstructive surgery on his elbow in September.
Strasburg, who had previously only thrown long toss off flat ground, broke the news on Twitter, posting: “First bullpen in the books. Felt great! Hopefully time will speed up now!”
Strasburg’s first bullpen session comes about 8 1/2 months after his surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament and leaves open the possibility of him returning to pitch in the majors this season. Recovery time for pitchers who had the Tommy John procedure is typically 12-to-18 months, so if Strasburg remains on schedule, he could return to make a handful of starts in September.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets