May 25, 2011, 3:27 PM EST
US Presswire photo
The Nats need to win today to avoid a sweep at Miller Park.
After a blowout loss Monday night and a gut-wrenching loss last night, the Nationals are right back on the field at Miller Park this afternoon for their series finale with the Brewers. Milwaukee sends newly acquired ace Zack Greinke (who spurned an offer from the Nats over the winter) to the mound, making the challenge all the more daunting.
If there is a silver lining to things right now, it does appear several key members of the Nationals' lineup are getting hot at the plate. Jayson Werth is hitting .343 with a 1.010 OPS over his last nine games. Michael Morse is hitting .410 with an 1.128 OPS in 16 games this month. And Ian Desmond has nine hits (including four doubles) over his last five games.
All of this, of course, means nothing if the Nats don't get good pitching. So the onus today is on Jason Marquis, who labored through four innings Friday night in Baltimore and then got into it with Jim Riggleman after getting pulled before he was eligible for the win. A quality, bounce-back performance from Marquis today would appear to be critical.
You already know I'm not in Milwaukee, so enjoy the game among yourselves. I'll be back blogging live from Nationals Park Friday night for the start of the homestand…
NATIONALS at BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 183
Weather: Roof closed
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence
- Markakis to have neck surgery 2 weeks after signing with Braves