May 26, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond has committed just one error in his last 24 games.
It's an off-day for the Nationals, and it comes at a good time for a club stuck in a five-game losing streak at the end of a dismal, 1-7 road trip through New York, Baltimore and Milwaukee.
Perhaps the best thing the Nats can do right now is take a day off, take their minds off baseball for 24 hours and return to the park tomorrow rested and ready for a weekend series with the Padres (owners of the NL's worst record).
And while they do that, this seems like an opportune time to delve deeper into the numbers. Let's take a look at the good, the bad and the ugly with the Nationals right now…
THE GOOD: Jayson Werth is heating up at the plate. Over his last 11 games, he's hitting .366 with six extra-base hits and a 1.057 OPS. For the month, he's hitting .293 with a .381 on-base percentage and .869 OPS.
THE BAD: After a hot stretch to open the season, Tom Gorzelanny is struggling. The left-hander sports a 7.63 ERA over his last three starts,Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year