May 26, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond has committed just one error in his last 24 games.
It's an off-day for the Nationals, and it comes at a good time for a club stuck in a five-game losing streak at the end of a dismal, 1-7 road trip through New York, Baltimore and Milwaukee.
Perhaps the best thing the Nats can do right now is take a day off, take their minds off baseball for 24 hours and return to the park tomorrow rested and ready for a weekend series with the Padres (owners of the NL's worst record).
And while they do that, this seems like an opportune time to delve deeper into the numbers. Let's take a look at the good, the bad and the ugly with the Nationals right now…
THE GOOD: Jayson Werth is heating up at the plate. Over his last 11 games, he's hitting .366 with six extra-base hits and a 1.057 OPS. For the month, he's hitting .293 with a .381 on-base percentage and .869 OPS.
THE BAD: After a hot stretch to open the season, Tom Gorzelanny is struggling. The left-hander sports a 7.63 ERA over his last three starts,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Bryce Harper leaves game with 'left glute tightness'
- Zuckerman on criticism of Nationals, Harper's MVP hopes
- Strasburg won't make scheduled start Friday
- Nats add two more relievers as Sept. call-ups
- Pressure's on Scherzer in Cards series finale
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5