May 27, 2011, 10:52 PM EST
Updated at 11:30 p.m. with Werth’s postgame quotes
Nationals manager Jim Riggleman met with Jayson Werth Friday afternoon, trying to get some clarity about what his right fielder meant two days earlier when he said “things need to change” with this struggling club.
“I’m not going to tell you what we said, but yeah, he’s definitely on board,” Riggleman said before Friday night’s game against the Padres. “It was just a really good conversation. He had some ideas. I had some ideas. I think it was a very good conversation.”
Werth’s comments following Wednesday’s loss in Milwaukee caused something of a stir back in Washington, gaining steam during the club’s day off Thursday.
“I’ve got some ideas obviously, and some thoughts, none I really want to share with the world,” the right fielder told reporters in Milwaukee. “I think it’s pretty obvious what’s going on around here.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast