May 27, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
Updated at 11:30 p.m. with Werth’s postgame quotes
Nationals manager Jim Riggleman met with Jayson Werth Friday afternoon, trying to get some clarity about what his right fielder meant two days earlier when he said “things need to change” with this struggling club.
“I’m not going to tell you what we said, but yeah, he’s definitely on board,” Riggleman said before Friday night’s game against the Padres. “It was just a really good conversation. He had some ideas. I had some ideas. I think it was a very good conversation.”
Werth’s comments following Wednesday’s loss in Milwaukee caused something of a stir back in Washington, gaining steam during the club’s day off Thursday.
“I’ve got some ideas obviously, and some thoughts, none I really want to share with the world,” the right fielder told reporters in Milwaukee. “I think it’s pretty obvious what’s going on around here.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Around the NL East: Mets being cautious with Harvey