May 28, 2011, 3:13 AM EDT
The Nationals placed left-hander Tom Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list following tonight's win with inflammation in his throwing elbow, leaving the club searching for someone to start Sunday's series finale against the Padres.
The move is retroactive to Tuesday, the day after Gorzelanny allowed six runs in five innings against the Brewers. The 28-year-old hadn't previously revealed any arm issues, at least not publicly.
Gorzelanny, who is 2-4 with 4.25 ERA in nine starts, was scheduled to return to the mound Sunday afternoon. The Nationals will make a corresponding move before tomorrow's game, and they appear to have several options.
Either right-hander Yunesky Maya or left-hander Ross Detwiler could be promoted from Class AAA Syracuse and start Sunday on at least four days' rest. Maya has been the better of the two recently, though his 1-4 record and 3.79 ERA aren't sparkling. Detwiler, though, is 3-4Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees
- Harper and Williams ejected again, Nats rally again
- Harper, Williams ejected vs. Yankees on Wednesday night