May 28, 2011, 3:13 AM EDT
The Nationals placed left-hander Tom Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list following tonight's win with inflammation in his throwing elbow, leaving the club searching for someone to start Sunday's series finale against the Padres.
The move is retroactive to Tuesday, the day after Gorzelanny allowed six runs in five innings against the Brewers. The 28-year-old hadn't previously revealed any arm issues, at least not publicly.
Gorzelanny, who is 2-4 with 4.25 ERA in nine starts, was scheduled to return to the mound Sunday afternoon. The Nationals will make a corresponding move before tomorrow's game, and they appear to have several options.
Either right-hander Yunesky Maya or left-hander Ross Detwiler could be promoted from Class AAA Syracuse and start Sunday on at least four days' rest. Maya has been the better of the two recently, though his 1-4 record and 3.79 ERA aren't sparkling. Detwiler, though, is 3-4Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back