May 28, 2011, 3:13 AM EST
The Nationals placed left-hander Tom Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list following tonight's win with inflammation in his throwing elbow, leaving the club searching for someone to start Sunday's series finale against the Padres.
The move is retroactive to Tuesday, the day after Gorzelanny allowed six runs in five innings against the Brewers. The 28-year-old hadn't previously revealed any arm issues, at least not publicly.
Gorzelanny, who is 2-4 with 4.25 ERA in nine starts, was scheduled to return to the mound Sunday afternoon. The Nationals will make a corresponding move before tomorrow's game, and they appear to have several options.
Either right-hander Yunesky Maya or left-hander Ross Detwiler could be promoted from Class AAA Syracuse and start Sunday on at least four days' rest. Maya has been the better of the two recently, though his 1-4 record and 3.79 ERA aren't sparkling. Detwiler, though, is 3-4Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list