May 28, 2011, 3:13 AM EST
The Nationals placed left-hander Tom Gorzelanny on the 15-day disabled list following tonight's win with inflammation in his throwing elbow, leaving the club searching for someone to start Sunday's series finale against the Padres.
The move is retroactive to Tuesday, the day after Gorzelanny allowed six runs in five innings against the Brewers. The 28-year-old hadn't previously revealed any arm issues, at least not publicly.
Gorzelanny, who is 2-4 with 4.25 ERA in nine starts, was scheduled to return to the mound Sunday afternoon. The Nationals will make a corresponding move before tomorrow's game, and they appear to have several options.
Either right-hander Yunesky Maya or left-hander Ross Detwiler could be promoted from Class AAA Syracuse and start Sunday on at least four days' rest. Maya has been the better of the two recently, though his 1-4 record and 3.79 ERA aren't sparkling. Detwiler, though, is 3-4Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers