May 28, 2011, 12:01 AM EST
Though he acknowledges he will need surgery to repair a significant tear of the labrum in his left shoulder, Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche remains hopeful he can come back to play in the next month and avoid the procedure until after the season.
LaRoche, who went on the 15-day disabled list Monday after getting the shoulder examined in New York, was back at Nationals Park today and insisted he hasn't conceded that he's done playing in 2011.
"No, I'm holding out hope that [rest and rehab] works," he said. "Whether the doctors know something different, I couldn't tell you. Right now, I'm planning on that. And if it doesn't happen, we'll probably find out pretty quick."
LaRoche plans to refrain from any baseball activities for about two weeks, then work on strengthening the area around his shoulder in an attempt to return to play in about a month. If he continues to feel the injury is negatively affecting his swing after that, he'll have surgery to repair the tear.
"I'm just waiting, doing therapy every day on it right now with the hope that a couple of weeks of no hitting or throwing and just shoulderRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence