May 28, 2011, 9:07 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond is thrown out trying to steal second base in the third inning.
It’s an accepted fact at this point that the Nationals don’t have the kind of lineup that’s going to consistently hammer away at opponents. They’ve established they’re only going to get a couple of legitimate chances at producing runs on a nightly basis.
Which means they’ve got to take advantage of what few opportunities they get. Not squander them the way they did during Saturday’s 2-1 loss to the Padres, the latest maddening display of offensive futility from this squad.
Aside from Laynce Nix’s solo homer in the seventh, the Nationals had only two realistic scoring opportunities all afternoon. They loaded the bases in the first against starter Tim Stauffer, only to watch as Michael Morse (the club’s hottest hitter over the last week) ground into an inning-ending double play.
Perhaps more frustrating was the wasted opportunity in the eighth after Jerry Hairston led off with a double. Needing one run to tie, the Nationals instead watched as Hairston never advanced past second base. Matt Stairs flied out to shallow center field on an 0-2 pitch from reliever Mike Adams. Rick Ankiel struck out swinging at a 1-2 pitch. And Ian Desmond struck out looking at three consecutive pitches,
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill