May 28, 2011, 4:44 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse is mobbed at the plate after hitting the game-winning homer.
At the end of a long night — after John Lannan had tossed 7 2/3 brilliant innings, after Drew Storen had blown his first save of the year, after a massive storm had disrupted the fourth inning, after Jerry Hairston had been ejected for complaining Padres starter Clayton Richard had quick-pitched, after Jayson Werth had tried to clarify his comments from earlier this week and suggested Teddy Roosevelt needs to win the Presidents’ Race, after Tom Gorzelanny had been placed on the DL with elbow inflammation and after Michael Morse had clubbed a walk-off homer and been greeted with a Gatorade shower — only one fact truly mattered.
The Nationals won Friday night, beating San Diego 2-1 to snap a five-game losing streak.
As Hairston put it: “We needed that.”
Boy, did they need that. Given all they’ve been going through lately, the Nationals simply needed to find a way to win this homestand opener against a Padres club that entered with the NL’s second-worst record.
That they did it in such dramatic fashion only sweetened the deal.
“Well, it doesn’t hurt,” Hairston said. “Hopefully it’ll be the start of something good. We feel we’ve got a good ballclub. Even with the
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return