May 28, 2011, 4:44 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse is mobbed at the plate after hitting the game-winning homer.
At the end of a long night — after John Lannan had tossed 7 2/3 brilliant innings, after Drew Storen had blown his first save of the year, after a massive storm had disrupted the fourth inning, after Jerry Hairston had been ejected for complaining Padres starter Clayton Richard had quick-pitched, after Jayson Werth had tried to clarify his comments from earlier this week and suggested Teddy Roosevelt needs to win the Presidents’ Race, after Tom Gorzelanny had been placed on the DL with elbow inflammation and after Michael Morse had clubbed a walk-off homer and been greeted with a Gatorade shower — only one fact truly mattered.
The Nationals won Friday night, beating San Diego 2-1 to snap a five-game losing streak.
As Hairston put it: “We needed that.”
Boy, did they need that. Given all they’ve been going through lately, the Nationals simply needed to find a way to win this homestand opener against a Padres club that entered with the NL’s second-worst record.
That they did it in such dramatic fashion only sweetened the deal.
“Well, it doesn’t hurt,” Hairston said. “Hopefully it’ll be the start of something good. We feel we’ve got a good ballclub. Even with the
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion