May 28, 2011, 4:44 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse is mobbed at the plate after hitting the game-winning homer.
At the end of a long night — after John Lannan had tossed 7 2/3 brilliant innings, after Drew Storen had blown his first save of the year, after a massive storm had disrupted the fourth inning, after Jerry Hairston had been ejected for complaining Padres starter Clayton Richard had quick-pitched, after Jayson Werth had tried to clarify his comments from earlier this week and suggested Teddy Roosevelt needs to win the Presidents’ Race, after Tom Gorzelanny had been placed on the DL with elbow inflammation and after Michael Morse had clubbed a walk-off homer and been greeted with a Gatorade shower — only one fact truly mattered.
The Nationals won Friday night, beating San Diego 2-1 to snap a five-game losing streak.
As Hairston put it: “We needed that.”
Boy, did they need that. Given all they’ve been going through lately, the Nationals simply needed to find a way to win this homestand opener against a Padres club that entered with the NL’s second-worst record.
That they did it in such dramatic fashion only sweetened the deal.
“Well, it doesn’t hurt,” Hairston said. “Hopefully it’ll be the start of something good. We feel we’ve got a good ballclub. Even with the
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance