May 29, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya makes his 2011 debut today against the Padres.
When we last saw Yunesky Maya in Washington, the results were pretty unspectacular. In five September starts, the right-hander went 0-3 with a 5.88 ERA and made it through the sixth inning only once. But after a strong showing in the Dominican Winter League and then another strong showing this spring, the 29-year-old Cuban seemed to suggest he has turned a corner.
We'll find out today whether that's true. Maya has been recalled from Class AAA Syracuse, where he went 1-4 with a 3.79 ERA in nine starts, to pitch this series finale against the Padres. Of course, the way the Nats' lineup is producing right now, even a brilliant performance from Maya may not be enough.
Couple of lineup changes from yesterday. Roger Bernadina is back in the leadoff spot and in center field. Wilson Ramos is back behind the plate. Alex Cora is at second base, with Danny Espinosa getting a day off. You'll also notice Jerry Hairston is at third base, even though he was suspended one game by MLB for his actions Friday night with umpire Ed Hickox. Hairston (who is celebrating his 35th birthday) has appealed the suspension, so he's allowed to keep playing until his appeal is heard.
Updates to come…
PADRES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to LF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort