May 29, 2011, 3:18 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jerry Hairston argues with Ed Hickox, with Jim Riggleman trying to intervene.
Updated at 1:15 p.m.
Nationals infielder Jerry Hairston Jr. has been suspended one game by Major League Baseball and fined an undisclosed amount for "aggressive actions" with umpire Ed Hickox during Friday night's game against the Padres.
Hairston has appealed the suspension and remains in the Nationals' starting lineup today.
"I had no clue … in my wildest dreams I would get suspended," he said. "That's why I'm appealing. If I did something wrong, guys, I would admit it. If I did something wrong, I'd step up. But I didn't push or shove him, and the video shows it."
The veteran utilityman, who turns 35 today, was ejected by Hickox in the seventh inning of Friday's 2-1 victory over after he complained San Diego left-hander Clayton Richard quick-pitched before he could get set in the batter's box. Hairston claims Hickox had granted him time out and did not let him reset himself in the box before Richard pitched.
Replays appear to show Hairston clearly re-establishing his position in the box and taking a practice swing before asking for time again, after Richard had already begun his delivery to the plate. Hairston wound up hitting a lazy fly ball to center field, though he never attempted toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future