May 29, 2011, 3:18 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jerry Hairston argues with Ed Hickox, with Jim Riggleman trying to intervene.
Updated at 1:15 p.m.
Nationals infielder Jerry Hairston Jr. has been suspended one game by Major League Baseball and fined an undisclosed amount for "aggressive actions" with umpire Ed Hickox during Friday night's game against the Padres.
Hairston has appealed the suspension and remains in the Nationals' starting lineup today.
"I had no clue … in my wildest dreams I would get suspended," he said. "That's why I'm appealing. If I did something wrong, guys, I would admit it. If I did something wrong, I'd step up. But I didn't push or shove him, and the video shows it."
The veteran utilityman, who turns 35 today, was ejected by Hickox in the seventh inning of Friday's 2-1 victory over after he complained San Diego left-hander Clayton Richard quick-pitched before he could get set in the batter's box. Hairston claims Hickox had granted him time out and did not let him reset himself in the box before Richard pitched.
Replays appear to show Hairston clearly re-establishing his position in the box and taking a practice swing before asking for time again, after Richard had already begun his delivery to the plate. Hairston wound up hitting a lazy fly ball to center field, though he never attempted toRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?