May 30, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Roy Halladay on Memorial Day at Nationals Park.
It's Memorial Day in the nation's capital, and it's a scorcher. Easily the hottest day of the year so far, so if you're coming to the park, be sure to dress appropriately and drink lots of water. I'd tell you to also be sure you avoid Phillies fans, but we all know that's going to be impossible. There will be another sizable invasion here today.
Those fans from up north will be cheering on Roy Halladay, who as you surely know by now owns the Nationals like no other pitcher. His current career totals against the franchise: 10-1, 2.01 ERA. Since joining the Phillies last season: 5-0, 1.15 ERA.
Jim Riggleman sends out a lineup today that does not include Roger Bernadina or Ian Desmond. Desmond, according to Riggleman, is dealing with some "aches and pains," but could play if needed. Bernadina is simply the odd man out today as Riggleman tries to rotate three players into two outfield positions: Bernadina, Rick Ankiel and Laynce Nix.
Plenty of updates to come, including whatever happens in the Presidents' Race, so please check back often…
PHILLIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 90 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to RF
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats