May 30, 2011, 10:26 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Alex Cora gets caught in a rundown in the bottom of the seventh.
There are any number of ways to analyze the Nationals’ 5-4 loss to the Phillies Monday afternoon, parsing Sean Burnett’s ragged relief appearance or Alex Cora’s baserunning or the entire lineup’s hitting approach with men in scoring position.
Within all that may be the answer that explains the Nationals’ third one-run loss in as many days. But there’s really only one pertinent fact about this game, one that needs not be analyzed, only articulated by Sean Burnett.
“Score four off Halladay and hit three home runs,” the reliever said. “That’s a game we should win.”
Indeed, given their atrocious history against Roy Halladay (now 11-1 with a 2.21 ERA in his career against this franchise) the Nationals must have been pinching themselves to actually put a minor hurting on the Philadelphia ace. They got solo homers from Michael Morse, Danny Espinosa and Laynce Nix, recorded at least one hit in each of
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?