May 30, 2011, 10:26 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Alex Cora gets caught in a rundown in the bottom of the seventh.
There are any number of ways to analyze the Nationals’ 5-4 loss to the Phillies Monday afternoon, parsing Sean Burnett’s ragged relief appearance or Alex Cora’s baserunning or the entire lineup’s hitting approach with men in scoring position.
Within all that may be the answer that explains the Nationals’ third one-run loss in as many days. But there’s really only one pertinent fact about this game, one that needs not be analyzed, only articulated by Sean Burnett.
“Score four off Halladay and hit three home runs,” the reliever said. “That’s a game we should win.”
Indeed, given their atrocious history against Roy Halladay (now 11-1 with a 2.21 ERA in his career against this franchise) the Nationals must have been pinching themselves to actually put a minor hurting on the Philadelphia ace. They got solo homers from Michael Morse, Danny Espinosa and Laynce Nix, recorded at least one hit in each of
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win