May 31, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Can the Nationals stop their string of one-run losses tonight?
The Nationals more than held their own against Roy Halladay yesterday, and that still wasn't enough to win. So tonight, they'll have to both hold their own against Cliff Lee, and hope they hold down the Phillies themselves to pull off a victory and snap their three-game losing streak.
Lee last faced the Nationals on April 14, and the result wasn't pretty: He tossed a three-hit shutout, striking out 12 in the process. Five members of the Nats' lineup from that game are in the lineup tonight: Danny Espinosa, Ian Desmond, Jerry Hairston, Jayson Werth and Michael Morse. The new additions tonight: Ivan Rodriguez, Roger Bernadina and Brian Bixler (who has become the de facto left fielder against lefties).
Jason Marquis, who got rocked by the Phillies at Citzens Bank Park earlier this month, starts for the Nationals. The right-hander is seeking his first win in three outings.
Updates to come…
PHILLIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Clear, 90 degrees, Wind 5 mph in from RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
1B Michael Morse
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs