Jun 1, 2011, 9:21 PM EST
Couple of notable news items out of Viera today…
Ryan Zimmerman played in his first extended spring training game since undergoing surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle. Zimmerman went 0-for-3 with a walk and played three innings at third base without having a ball hit in his direction.
Zimmerman is slated to take tomorrow off, then play again Friday. Within the next week-to-10 days, he should depart Viera and go on a brief rehab assignment with one of the Nationals’ minor-league affiliates before coming off the disabled list. …
Chien-Ming Wang, meanwhile, appears to be on the verge of leaving Viera at long last. Wang is slated to pitch in an extended spring game Saturday in Kissimmee against the Astros, his 10th appearance in one of those games this year, then finally head out on a minor-league rehab assignment.
This would be the first time the right-hander pitches in an actual, regular-season game as a member of the Nationals organization since signing with them in February 2010. As a pitcher, Wang will be allowed to spend no more than 30 days on a rehab assignment before he must be activated off the DL or shut down.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett