Jun 1, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
Couple of notable news items out of Viera today…
Ryan Zimmerman played in his first extended spring training game since undergoing surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle. Zimmerman went 0-for-3 with a walk and played three innings at third base without having a ball hit in his direction.
Zimmerman is slated to take tomorrow off, then play again Friday. Within the next week-to-10 days, he should depart Viera and go on a brief rehab assignment with one of the Nationals’ minor-league affiliates before coming off the disabled list. …
Chien-Ming Wang, meanwhile, appears to be on the verge of leaving Viera at long last. Wang is slated to pitch in an extended spring game Saturday in Kissimmee against the Astros, his 10th appearance in one of those games this year, then finally head out on a minor-league rehab assignment.
This would be the first time the right-hander pitches in an actual, regular-season game as a member of the Nationals organization since signing with them in February 2010. As a pitcher, Wang will be allowed to spend no more than 30 days on a rehab assignment before he must be activated off the DL or shut down.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology