Game 56: Nats at Diamondbacks

Jun 2, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chase Field hosts the Nationals and Diamondbacks tonight.

PHOENIX — Hello from the Valley of the Sun, where it is currently a very comfortable 91 degrees. Relative humidity: 5 percent. With the wind chill factor, it only feels like 87 degrees. Have to say, it's incredibly nice to get away from the stickiness of D.C. for a couple of days.

The Nationals open an 11-game, West Coast trip tonight against the surprising Diamondbacks, who have won 14 of 16 and have taken over first place in the NL West. With left-hander Zach Duke on the mound for Arizona, Jim Riggleman is eschewing his usual righty-heavy lineup and going with Roger Bernadina in left field and Rick Ankiel in center field. The reason: Ankiel is 5-for-8 with a homer in his career against Duke, one of the few lefties he hits.

Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound, hoping to continue his hot streak. Zimmermann has tossed five consecutive quality starts, allowing only two runs in four of those outings.

Plenty of updates to come, so stay up late and check back often…

NATIONALS at DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 9:40 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 91 degrees, Wind 11 mph LF to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
1B Michael Morse

1. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Interesting factoid I ran across on ESPN Insider …Apparently, FanGraphs has developed a new stat to measure base running called the UBR or ultimate base running.The Diamondbacks rank 3rd behind the Rangers and Reds. The Nats have appreciably improved and are now tied for 8th with the Mets.In 2010 the Nats had a negative number and ranked 23rd. The Diamondbacks had a negative number and ranked 26th.

2. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM

So, as per usual, Riggleman takes out one of his hottest hitters against one of the hottest teams in baseball … they are actually playing "smart ball" better than his guys as well as all the other things? Ankiel's numbers against Duke is the excuse? After the game Nix had? Well at least he doesn't have Ankiel leading off … that was ridiculous."Riggleman" the antonym for "winning".

3. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Ankiel led off that game with a hit, if you'll remember.

4. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Is Laynce Nix hurt? I don't get this otherwise.

5. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Ankiel led off that game with a hit, if you'll remember.How is that possible @anon6:43 when he was a late inning replacement in the ninth inning from a double switch and Nix left the game? What team are you watching again dude?

6. Mark'd - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Anon @6:34, glad you aren't managing this team. Nix becomes the bench bat vs. The righty reliever. I thought we would see Bixler in LF tonight so This is a new lineup with Roger & Rick!

7. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM

What's that old saying about talking to yourself? Oh, yeah. It's not a problem until you start arguing with yourself. Uh-oh.

8. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Geez Annoymous 6:34 – are you gainfully employed or is it your job to go on EVERY Nats-related message board to flame Jim Riggleman?I don't like to tell people this but in your case it's time – Dude, get a life. We know you want Riggleman fired. Nothing new to see here now move along.Don't know who is worse. You or that Poop guy.

9. BinM - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:20 PM

@MarkZ: Enjoy the low humidity of the western slope while you can. This series against the D-backs should be an interesting one from a pitching aspect. Their starting staff is not necessarily built to dominate games, so we'll see how it plays out.

10. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Well, checking the numbers, Rick Ankiel is batting .625 (in 8 AB) against Duke and Bernadina is .500 in two AB…so that could be one reason. Nix has never faced Duke.I'm still not thrilled with the lineup, assuming Nix isn't hurt.

11. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Geez Annoymous 6:34 – are you gainfully employed or is it your job to go on EVERY Nats-related message board to flame Jim Riggleman?Sheesh anon7:10 PM sounds like the pot calling the kettle black as they say? Where do you find the time to police all of these Nats blog sites? That must be far more time consuming. Clearly one of those entitlements people or maybe a trust fund baby? Perhaps you need to take your own advice @anon …

12. Grandstander - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Ankiel is also batting .258 against LHP while Nix is a lowly .167.I don't love the move, but I totally understand it. And at least he kept Bernadina in there to leadoff. I'd expect Nix to come in once we get into the bullpen and shift Bernadina to center.I wonder when the line is where they start making some roster moves. Slaten and Stairs have clearly overstayed their welcome, but they seem hesitant to cut the strings. Is it a factor of there being no one they want to bring in? Or are they just giving these guys some leeway to hopefully turn it around?

13. natsfan1a - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Can't stay up for the late ones, so will hope for a happy game results email in the morning and look forward to reading Mark's game thread after the fact. Go NATS!!Enjoy the dry desert air (you had to go there, didn't you? ;-)).

14. Mark'd - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:34 PM

For the Anons on Nix. He has never faced the lefty Duke before and having him sit against a lefty won't cool him down as he will start Friday and Sunday most likely and Werth is due a dayoff so we may see Bernie in RF, Ankiel CF and Nix LF this weekend for a game. Maybe see Nix at 1st for Morse for a game.

15. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM

@BinM,According to another advanced metric from fangraphs (the UBR being one) for overall defense the Diamonds currently rank 4th while the Nats rank 22nd. Last year . The Astro's are currently last. Last year the Pirates finished last. The Diamondbacks were 2nd, and the Nats 14th.

16. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Maybe see Nix at 1st for Morse for a game.I believe Riggleman said he had Ankiel taking grounders there for that purpose. Ankiel said he hadn't played 1st since high school but he didn't think it would be a problem.

17. Bill B - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Ankiel's BA in 8 AB's is irrelevant. Small sample size. It's elementary statistics. That said, after beating the Phils 2 out of 3 I'll defer to Riggleman's judgment. In any case, he can't sit anyone for too long unless he's planning on converting him to a pinch-hitter. As disappointed as I've been in Ankiel's offense, he needs some starts. And his defense is very strong.

18. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I'd expect Nix to come in once we get into the bullpen and shift Bernadina to center.You're kidding right? More likely to see Nix double-switched in for Bernadina.

19. The Baseball Guy - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:45 PM

lets go nats, lets get 3 out of 4 in this series. Danny will hit another homer tonight

20. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:46 PM

As disappointed as I've been in Ankiel's offense, he needs some starts.Operative word: "some". Not continuous. And Ankiel's offense matches the back of his baseball card as they say? He is exactly as should have been expected.

21. The Baseball Guy - Jun 2, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Bryce Harper's left nut could hit better than Ankiel. He's great at defense but I don't think there is room for him..he's taking up valuable playing time

22. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Grandstander said… Ankiel is also batting .258 against LHP while Nix is a lowly .167.____________________________Not only are there a lot of Trolls here who complain aimlessly but most won't do a lick of research.Teams pay 100's of thousands of dollars for advanced scouts to be the eyes and ears on top of stats.Bill B said… Ankiel's BA in 8 AB's is irrelevant. Small sample size. It's elementary statistics.Yes, a small sample size but there is still statistical relevance. As far as Ankiel's stats vs. Duke at 5 for 8 while it is a small sample it is better then relying on nothing.

23. baseballswami - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Now, children , let's quit the arguing over whose blog posts are the most annoying. You could stand to talk about something else other than the fact that you want Riggs gone – what did he do to you, sleep with your wife? No wonder you are so anonymous all the time! Even I take a break from insisting that Matt Stairs retire once in a while. Go Nats! ( oh, and Riggs?please don't put stairs in a clutch situation or I might have to start trashing you , too.)

24. The Baseball Guy - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:35 AM

If rigs gets fired, Cora should be a player/manager

25. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:02 AM

baseballswami, there are 2 popular decisions we can all agree on, Slaten and Stairs have to go.

26. JaneB - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:14 AM

I think that we can take some solace from the way the DBacks got so go so fast: homegrown talent, smarter base running, better defense. We can do that…more next year than this, but we can do that! Thanks for the fan graphs stats, anon at 6:29. And anon at 7:10 thanks for trying to get the Riggleman hater to get that we know he hates the guy and doesn't need to keep harping on it. Go NATS!

27. Ernie - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Why does that picture of the stadium remind me of the docking bay on the Death Star? (I'm so confused about the team's identity after this past week that I really don't know what else to say at this point. Who are these guys? I don't usually stay up for west coast games, but tonight I feel a need to watch just to try to figure out exactly what we have on our hands. I think there's some theory in psychology/conditioning saying that that addiction is most strongly fostered by inconsistent rewards. If I'm remembering that right, this team's inconsistency and unpredictability makes it the baseball equivalent of crack.)

28. BinM - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:46 AM

As a guide to help sort the various Anonymous posters across the Natosphere, I offer the following guideline, that is applicable to multiple Washington Nationals boards/blogs/commentaries… -If the poster uses multiple question marks in his commentary, it's probably peric/periculum/aeoliano/some kind of latin derivitive (80% probability). -If the poster uses worst and worse interchangeably, it's most likely peric/… (95% probability), and expect to get flamed if you call him on it (99% probability). -If the poster hates on Riggleman, or refers to him as Giggleman, it could be peric/… (80% probability); If he posts made-up lyrics to the "Gilligan's Isle", it rises to 99% probability. -If the poster hates on Ankiel, it could be peric… (70% probability). -If the poster tosses out the name of a minor-league player totally unrelated to the line of discussion, it's possibly peric/… (67% probability). I fully expect his on-line wrath for this, but post this in the hopes that others may learn the tell-tale signs. Expecting to get flamed by an Anon poster in 8..7..6..

29. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Michael Morse smokes it with RISP!!!!

30. Stranded_in_Philly - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Anyone know why no F.P. today?

31. dryw - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:50 AM

I don't know where all this offense comes from, but I like it!

32. RickH - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:50 AM

RAMOS!!!

33. Andrew - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Wilson Ramos with a bomb!!!! So much for Ankiel on Zach Duke. LOL Just kidding. I laughed when Bob Carpenter says Ankiel has a 5 for 8 with a HR against Duke.

34. Unkyd - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:54 AM

BinM: what about the growing Krauthammer fixation? Would this be another Latin affectation?

35. Les in NC - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Great way to start a game! J.Z now you have some runs to work with, don't get sloppy. 'Kay?

36. Mark'd - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Ramos shook the Wall with that double!

37. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:57 AM

See, JZim should have received that Strike 3 call.

38. Andrew - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Wilson Ramos sporting the new catcher's gear provided by Under Armour!!!

39. BinM - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Ernie: You've hit the nail on the head; The Nationals are our addiction. When they score, it's really good, and we're mostly blissful – when they don't, we tend to be cranky, angry, and somewhat paranoid.

40. JaneB - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:18 AM

I thought I'd be asleep soon. But to START 3-0? I'm here for the duration. Go Nats! So glad to know you all are watching too.

41. masnstinks - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:20 AM

So – is Cora available today? Has there been a report on whether or not he was just sick yesterday or if he has a concussion from his collision with ryan howard? Some nice hustle so far. Late game is killing me,though. Have to pull onto I-95 early.

42. BinM - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:21 AM

@Unkyd: Don't read Krauthammer (I'm highly apolitical), so I'm at a loss for a reference there. No need to elaborate, I just stick to what I understand (baseball, making maps, and living).

43. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Hairston made a heads up play. Nice Veteran play!

44. FS - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:38 AM

WOW looks like all Nats fans have gone to bed.

45. Andrew - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:40 AM

BRYCE HARPER WITH A WALKOFF HR IN EXTRAS

46. RickH - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:45 AM

ATTA BOY, BRYCE!!!

47. baseballswami - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:51 AM

That's our baby boy! Now – since this is not the american league – is he learning to play the field? Our hitters are causing me stress and it's too late for me to be stressed and so I must go to sleep.

48. Andrew - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:53 AM

4 for 5 night in the game. Average up to .346. He must have read Natsinsider earlier about Ladson and some of the posters here talking about his Batting Average sliding.

49. Nats Lifer - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Nice DP. Dammit, I need to go to bed. The Nat are playing good, clean, compelling ball. I really shouldn't stay up, but I don't want to miss anything!

50. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 3, 2011 at 2:58 AM

@FSNot those of us who live on the west coast…just had to break for dinner with the family…glad to see the score hasn't changed.

51. JaneB - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Third hit for Morse! Please do no let this end!

52. JaneB - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Okay. Ankiel 0 for 3. Can we have Laynce back now?

53. Andrew - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Web Gem Danny Espinosa!!!

54. Navy Nats Fan - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:09 AM

What a play by Danny! Espi for ESPY this year!

55. Anonymous - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I fully expect his on-line wrath for this, but post this in the hopes that others may learn the tell-tale signs. Nice prognosis Dr. BinM, But doesn't an MD have better things to do with his time than follow one poster across a dozen or more blogs? You were here when every other word was "Gascanrahan", "fire Acta", etc. and participated full. I am trying to enjoy watching this game and my "AAAA" (and yes you often accused him of that and of me for liking him now didn't you? Yes, you like to know all and see all like too many MD's) Oh, that was Michael Morse. And, sure I liked JD Martin too.If there's one thing that's pretty ridiculous its a hypocrite and @BinM that describes you to a "T".

56. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:15 AM

We're still up, FS. No problem. As JaneB says, we're up all night. GYFNG.

57. FS - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:19 AM

I was not seeing much activity earlier. I will try to keep up with you guys as long as I can.any description of Danny's web gem?

58. Mark'd - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:20 AM

That was close there in the 5th. Riggs needs to watch him closely in the 6th.

59. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:23 AM

@FS: Really nice diving stop going to his right, pops up, strong throw, out by a step. Adam Kennedy wouldn't have gotten within a five-iron of it.

60. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:24 AM

FS – A smash on the cut of grass and Danny dove for it and got it on the bounce and somehow got up and threw out the runner.

61. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Sunshine – We were writing at the same time. You described the play much better!

62. FS - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:32 AM

thanks guys. still would like to see the play.I am just following the game on gameday. And it seems like too many line drives are being hit off of Zmann. Is he not pitching well, just lucky or gameday is not describing it right?

63. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:37 AM

Watching the Diamondbacks' broadcast (on MLB.com) and the announcers are being very complimentary toward the Nats. Mark Grace is doing the color commentary and has described Riggleman as his 'favorite' manager, they both giving lots of kudos to Espinosa and Morse, and they're very impressed with Zimmermann. I recognize, of course, that these guys are not exactly hard-nosed journalists, but it's still nice to hear.

64. Gonat - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:37 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/bryce-harper-hits-a-walk-off-homer-in-hagerstown/2011/06/02/AGpTSdHH_blog.html?wprss=nationals-journalI see Kilgore posted at 10:52PM. Is he in Hagerstown or in Arizona? If he is in Arizona, I guess he got his information from NatsInsider ;-))

65. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:38 AM

@FS: Zimm is pitching fine. He's pitching to contact instead of trying to fan everybody. So his pitch count is down. There's been maybe a half-dozen balls hit hard, but he hasn't rattled. He's fine. Hand it over soon to Clip/Burn/Store and we get the W.

66. Gonat - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:42 AM

11:13 p.m. — For those who haven't heard yet, Bryce Harper hit a walk-off homer tonight in the bottom of the 10th to lead Hagerstown past Greenville. That capped a 4-for-5 night for Harper, who did get picked off first base earlier in the game on a fake-to-third, throw-to-first move by the opposing pitcher._______________________________Anon8 posted on the Eckstein piece about Bryce Harper being picked off at 9:27PM and Andrew gave us the Bryce Harper Walkoff news at 10:40 so I wonder if Mark Zuckerman reads the comments given this: For those who haven't heard yet, Bryce Harper hit a walk-off homer tonight in the bottom of the 10th.

67. Mark'd - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Glad to see Riggs playing it cautious. Jordan is on a seasons innings count so save him for later if you know what I mean.

68. FS - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Thanks Sunshine. I guess I got too excited.I think they will opt to use Kimball or HRod than Clip or Burn, before calling on Drew. Clippard was used for last couple of games and Burnett has struggled a bit lately.

69. Andrew - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:51 AM

Sunshine – Agreed, give the bullpen a clean inning. Clip threw 2 yesterday so I don't think he is available.

70. JaneB - Jun 3, 2011 at 3:54 AM

The DBacks are playing well, too. This is a good game . More hope for the home team (OUR home team, i mean). As long as our BP holds, we win. I was wondering if DBacks fans complain about Nady like we do about our old guys? Bet they don't have a Mark Z though…

71. Gonat - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:00 AM

Jane, you meant BP for bullpen I hope because Coffey just gave Roberts a BP pitch. One pitch and on to Burnett.

72. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Grace just mentioned that Wily Mo Pena was tearing up AAA for the Diamondbacks' team in Reno. A quick check of MiLB stats confirms it. He's hitting .352/.433/.716, with 17 HRs and 49 RBIs. Interestingly, he's got 20 BBs against 34 Ks.

73. dj in Fl. - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:07 AM

A very enjoyable game indeed.Another excellent outing by Zimmermann, and a great bunt fake for a single. Glad he got us to the eighth, you never know, we made need the full bullpen tomorrow.Standing O to Morse for his fielding tonight.

74. JaneB - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Glad Sean got the strikeout but more glad Drew is coming!

75. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Kimball will be the closer tomorrow.

76. BallstonNat - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:13 AM

Well…that ended well, and the 2 allowed base runners actually helped to get through the meat of their order.

77. dj in Fl. - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM

I could really get used to these guys adding an insurance run or two on every night.Nothing but good dreams tonight.

78. Latin is dead to me - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:36 AM

79. JaneB - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:40 AM

G'nite JZimm! G'nite Danny! G'nite Mikey! G'nite Eugene and dryw and FS and dj and gonat and kind Anonomi andMark'd and Sunshine Bobby C, and Mark Z and everyone else! Goooooo Nats!

80. RickH - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:40 AM

Great game, Nats!!!

81. RickH - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:41 AM

G'nite, JaneB!

82. Grandstander - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:42 AM

That looked like a baseball club tonight. That's what you call putting it all together. Keep it rolling!

83. Andrew - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:43 AM

84. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:44 AM

Go Nats!For what it's worth, the D-backs' announcers are predicting a brawl before the series is over — basing it on the HBP on Upton, followed by the retaliatory (in their view) HBP on Werth, as well as Espinosa's stare-down of the Heilman. As Grace noted, over a four-game series the opposing players just 'see too much of each other and get tired of each other.'

85. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:50 AM

86. Grandstander - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:51 AM

87. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:52 AM

g'nite JaneB and everybody else who stayed up late to watch this. We got another late one tomorrow night and also Monday and Tuesday from San Fran. Keep the herbal tea brewing those late nights, folks. Way to go, Nats.

88. Caveat emptor is really a pun - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:53 AM

BinM,You nailed the Peric "anonymous" posts. He's not fooling anyone once again!!! Wow, people here really do need to get real lives …What @BinM failed to mention is that he also likes to post anonymously on this site. He's the insufferable haughty spell and grammar corrector who likes to complain about people using "worst" and "worst" interchangeable. He's usually the one with the holier-than-thou arrogance that often parlays into the haughty MD. What he also fails to mention is that on the MASN site my posts are very clearly identified. I just don't like fighting with half-broken authentication mechanisms that don't work. Because that's what I do for a living and its wearying. I use a browser called Aurora and this site doesn't work. Often my Chrome browser gets mangled. And Safari. Because its what I do, yes I do sit in front of a lot of computers all the time it seems.So many people here make up names for themselves and change them on whim because that is the one part of this system that actually works quite well.So many hypocrites. Oh, well just like our congress critters … I guess it reflects the city and all of that …

89. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Eugene, ridiculous. Upton was in a 1-2 count with the game on the line. Burnett threw a bad pitch.I can see that hitting Werth could have been on purpose.

90. Anonymous - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:57 AM

For those who thought Riggleman didn't like Morse, Riggleman just did a post-game interview with Bob Carpenter and was all compliments about Morse.@Anon8Talk to Ladson who posted endless tweets about Morse being in the doghouse. Ladson talks mostly to Riggleman. Then there are all the endless double-switches he liked to do with him such as the time he hit 2 homers in 1 game and was out by the fifth. And as we've seen he can be a very good fielder with confidence and a chance. Now, to get that home run stroke back.

91. Anonymous8 - Jun 3, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Grandstander said… Did anyone else see Riggs struggle to compliment Morse during the MASN post-game? What is this guy's problem? I would pay $100 to punch him in the face. Maybe we could make that a new promotion. June 3, 2011 12:51 AM______________________________That is Riggleman's personality. Why do you read into it.Ray Knight suggest early on that Morse could be an All-Star. That was mentioned on here by someone (maybe me) a few days ago and got some jeers. Still way to early on that but very nice what Morse is doing.

92. Anonymous - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:03 AM

Riggleman played his bullpen perfectly. Don't worry about offending Coffey, get the job done. Well played Riggleman!Yes. Although I think he should have just hauled out H-Rod. That would strike some fear into any D-backs considering retaliation … hmmm perhaps that's why Riggleman didn't. H-Rod doesn't always have the best control on those heaters he throws … although the slider and change seem to be pretty decent where control is concerned.

93. Latin is dead to me - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Peric,You have mentioned Giggleman's "doghouse" on every site on the Natmosphere.What do you do for a living since you have so much time to post on every single website?

94. I mind my own business as a good software engineer should. - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:08 AM

95. Not BinM - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Great win. I am glad the 2-1 epiphany game carried into this series … now if it can just snowball into a long winning streak!And besides being the first to notice Morse I also still think people underestimate one Trevor Holder.

96. All MD's have to learn Latin now don't they BinM? - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:18 AM

And cave canem is also a pun and an adianoeta.

97. NotBinM Make Us Well Be MD - Jun 3, 2011 at 5:30 AM

@Grandstander,I listened to Riggleman … he isn't a Morse fan in the field but he did say that he is a hitter. That that is who he is. Yes he praised Werth's and Desmond's play (in spite of the "little slump" as Riggleman characterized it) in the field. Remembering how he preferred Guzman last year, basically what Riggleman is doing is complimenting his two clubhouse "leaders" in Werth and Desmond. That's what I read from it. That's just Riggleman. Riggleman admires Desmond's leadership qualities and apparently finds them quite value. Clearly Werth is a leader because of his contract and past with the Phillies … but let's wait and see what happens when Zim gets back.

98. Latin is dead to me - Jun 3, 2011 at 6:31 AM

99. SonnyG10 - Jun 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Great game! Good night…er, good morning everyone.

100. natsfan1a - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Yay, a happy game results email!

101. N. Cognito - Jun 3, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Latin is dead to me said… "Piero/Peric/Periculum/Atliano/etc,I love all the creative names you have come up with, thought about comedy?"Have you thought about therapy?Seriously. You have issues.

102. masnstinks - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Just got a chance to check all of the results from last night — I really wish I could have stayed up last night and bantered about with you night-owl posters. I will start my work day with laughter – not only because of the final score but because I am highly amused by all of your reactions to it!

103. Richard - Jun 3, 2011 at 11:57 AM

What a night for Morse. Four hits and in the bottom of the 7th two great fielding plays.

104. Joe Seamhead - Jun 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM

When Adam comes off the DL, what to do with Morse? Michael has been hitting great, playing a terrific 1b, and his smile is heartwarming.The guy just exudes joy about the fact that he's playing MLBGreat start to this road trip. Keep it up you Nationals!

105. other clues - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM

- may use plain, bold and italic styled text in same post- may quote various "pundits" out of context and ascribe great wisdom to them- may criticize "old" players and tout "young" players

106. Latin is dead to me said - Jun 3, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Along with that, Piero/Peric/Periculum/Atliano/etc doesn't cover his or her tracks well by coping and pasting verbatim the same things on various websites. Any sites free of the fool, well don't post here obviously. My guess is this engineer doesn't spend so much time on their craft.