Jun 2, 2011, 10:17 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chase Field hosts the Nationals and Diamondbacks tonight.
PHOENIX — Hello from the Valley of the Sun, where it is currently a very comfortable 91 degrees. Relative humidity: 5 percent. With the wind chill factor, it only feels like 87 degrees. Have to say, it's incredibly nice to get away from the stickiness of D.C. for a couple of days.
The Nationals open an 11-game, West Coast trip tonight against the surprising Diamondbacks, who have won 14 of 16 and have taken over first place in the NL West. With left-hander Zach Duke on the mound for Arizona, Jim Riggleman is eschewing his usual righty-heavy lineup and going with Roger Bernadina in left field and Rick Ankiel in center field. The reason: Ankiel is 5-for-8 with a homer in his career against Duke, one of the few lefties he hits.
Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound, hoping to continue his hot streak. Zimmermann has tossed five consecutive quality starts, allowing only two runs in four of those outings.
Plenty of updates to come, so stay up late and check back often…
NATIONALS at DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 9:40 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 91 degrees, Wind 11 mph LF to RF
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal
- Ex-Nats pitcher Haren really doesn't want to pitch for the Marlins
- Significant moment No. 9: Soriano out, Storen in
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June