Jun 3, 2011, 6:29 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann turned in his sixth straight quality start Thursday night.
PHOENIX — For nearly four years, since the day the Nationals drafted him out of tiny Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Jordan Zimmermann had been more concept than reality. The right-hander would show glimpses of his immense ability, but the inconsistencies of a young pitcher along with major elbow surgery kept his status firmly in the category of “prospect,” not “front-line, big-league starter.”
At last, though, that transition appears to be happening before our eyes. Zimmermann has begun to not only flash his potential, but sustain a level of success that suggests this guy is no longer a project. He’s the real deal.
“He’s learned how to pitch at this level,” Steve McCatty, the Nationals pitching coach, said. “He got here so quick. Now he’s actually learned how to pitch.”
Never was that more on display than during Washington’s 6-1 victory over the Diamondbacks Thursday night, when Zimmermann mixed and matched his pitches over seven sterling innings to continue his prolonged stretch of success.
In a brief career that spans only 34 starts, the 25-year-old has enjoyed flashier outings. He struck out 11 Braves last month. He
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense