Jun 3, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya faces Josh Collmenter tonight at Chase Field.
PHOENIX — Yunesky Maya's first start of 2011 wasn't particularly impressive. If anything, it bore some significant resemblance to his five starts in 2010, when he labored to get through the fourth and fifth innings and pitched at an extremely slow pace. Tonight, the Cuban right-hander gets another chance to make a better impression, facing a Diamondbacks club that had been hot until Jordan Zimmermann took the mound last night.
Maya will be opposed tonight by unheralded right-hander Josh Collmenter, a 25-year-old rookie who has burst onto the scene here in Arizona, allowing only four runs in four starts to date. Collmenter uses an unconventional delivery — he throws from straight over the top, maybe even a tad to the left. Thus, he gets great downward action, especially on his breaking balls, something the Nats will have to be ready for.
The Nationals will be without one of their big guns tonight. Jayson Werth, who took an Aaron Heilman fastball off his left elbow in the ninth inning last night, is not 100 percent. So Werth takes a seat, which means the Nats at the moment are without their three top, veteran position players from Opening Day: Werth, Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche.
Plenty of updates to come…
NATIONALS at DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 9:40 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Clear, 93 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to RF
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Laynce Nix
1B Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort