Game 58: Nats at Diamondbacks

Jun 4, 2011, 8:53 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chase Field hosts the third game of this four-game series.

PHOENIX — We're about three hours from first pitch here at Chase Field, and we're still waiting for the Nationals to post their lineup. It would appear there's still some question whether Jayson Werth is ready to play after missing last night's game with a swollen left elbow.

We do know Livan Hernandez will make the start for the Nationals, hoping to emerge victorious for the first time in a long time. He hasn't won in his last six starts, despite having allowed three or fewer earned runs in three of those outings. Left-hander Joe Saunders, a native of Springfield, Va., starts for Arizona, looking to earn his third consecutive victory.

I'll be sure to post the lineup as soon as it becomes available. And, of course, there will be plenty of updates throughout the game…

UPDATE AT 5:01 P.M. — The lineup has been posted, and Jayson Werth is back after missing last night's game. The one tweak is that Riggleman is using Jerry Hairston as his leadoff man tonight, with Roger Bernadina sitting against the lefty and Rick Ankiel batting seventh.

NATIONALS at DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 8:10 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Sunny, 99 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
3B Jerry Hairston
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
1B Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Let's get back on the winning way boys.

2. Anonymous - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:13 PM

wheres Nix??

3. NattyNation - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Riggs won't let Nix hit against lefties. I believe he only has 12 ABs all year against lefties. I wish we could just settle on an outfield instead of rotating everyone through. Doesn't let anyone stay hot.Also, I mentioned it on another thread as an afterthought but just want to repeat it here on the main thread- I'm predicting a brawl sometime in this series. Upton has been plunked 3 times and makes a big show of staring down the pitcher each time, and Werth got one in the elbow on thursday. If they throw at Werth early today, which is likely, I'm curious to see what will happen

4. Anonymous - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I guess we should wish that someone on this team has enough fire in their belly to brawl. Not that I want to see anyone get hurt – just some passion. Danny gets hit all the time – it's part of his game now, he never even blinks. Most of the guys are so happy to see first base that they just shake it off. Upton appears to be a bit temperamental – he may trip if he gets plunked again. Does he crowd the plate?

5. Anonymous - Jun 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM

NATS, Just Do It, I.

6. natsfan1a - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Hairston leading off? Interesting. Maybe he could call time out and do one of those running hits again, get a good head of steam going… :-)Nats: find the bat box and break out the lumber. Expect it. (I hope.)

7. KC5 - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM

There's no neeed to brawl. Just do your talking with the bats.

8. Anonymous - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Riggs won't let Nix hit against lefties. I believe he only has 12 ABs all year against lefties. I wish we could just settle on an outfield instead of rotating everyone through. Doesn't let anyone stay hot.Ankiel can't hit lefties or righties … heading way down south of the Minnie Mendoza border. Intermim Jim Crow would be a better name as opposed to Riggleman with his penchant for cronyism.

9. Anonymous - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:28 PM

For the grammar Nazi: So, its actually Mario Mendoza … but Minnie sounds cuter … ;)

10. Anonymous - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Hairston leading off? Interesting. Maybe he could call time out and do one of those running hits again, get a good head of steam going… :-)Unlike Rig's new Guzman/Harris/Maxwell (actually Ankiel maybe more of a white Justin Maxwell for Rig) Hairston has actually led off many times in the past. He actually has REAL major league experience doing it. Yes, it does make sense.

11. Anonymous - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I guess we should wish that someone on this team has enough fire in their belly to brawl.Makes no sense for AZ to start plunking people. Not with H-Rod sitting there in the 'pen. That's a scary proposition for any major league ballplayer.

12. onedownonetogo - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I don't really care who leads off right now, the pitcher can lead off for all I care – just take some friggin pitches and get the heck on base! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? ( she asks as her eyes bug out of her head and steam comes out of her ears).

13. natsfan1a - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Works for me, one down, so long as they bring the boys home after they get on.

14. KC5 - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:52 PM

The concept of working the count would be greatly appreciated.

15. masnstinks - Jun 4, 2011 at 10:53 PM

It just feels like the game should be starting – I hate west coast trips. I will be tired by the time the game starts.

16. natsfan1a - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Oh, and if you could not, you know, walk the opposing pitcher, that would be, like, a *really* good thing for the old blood pressure. 'kay, thanks!

17. Anonymous - Jun 4, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Thought this was pretty funny … this site seems to need some comic relief. There's a former 1st rounder from the same year as first rounder Chris Marerro and he keeps a pretty steady and up-to-date blog. He is currently hitting around .372 to lead the team.Kids on a plane or flying sucks by Matt Antonelli:The first one happened at around 5:00 in the morning. One of my buddies next to me is sound asleep. Most of us were working on one or two hours of sleep if we were lucky, so everyone was trying to catch up on some Z's once we got on the plane. About ten minutes before takeoff our flight attendant attempted to get his attention by yelling "Sir!" three to four times. When she realized he was dead asleep and there was no waking him she went with the "shoving method". I'm sure he thought for a spilt second that the plane was going down, but once he realized what was going on he gave her that groggy look of, "what the hell do you want, and where am I?" The reason she was so hell bent on waking him. "Sir, you're window shade has to be completely up for take off!"OK fine, if not having the window shade completely up is going to take this plane down, then go ahead and shake the hell out of all of us. But the next one I'm still confused about. About twenty minutes after takeoff one of our guys decided to switch seats, opting for an empty row where he could better get some shut eye. As the flight attendant came down the aisle she must have noticed that someone was not in the row earlier in the flight, but now was. "Sir! Excuse me Sir!" Once again this wasn't working on us. Her back up plan was to shake him (she was a big fan of shaking) which worked after three or four times. "Sir, did you move to these empty seats from another spot on the plane?" He looked at her and shook his head. "OK," she responded as she walked away. I'm still not sure if maybe she was jealous everyone on the plane was sleeping while she wasn't able to, but I still have no idea why the hell you would wake people up at 5 AM for this stuff. Maybe that stuff is important, and I'm not really that upset because it didn't happen to me, but I'm still very confused about it.

18. Unkyd - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Wow, Anon… I'm as mild mannered as they come, but that stuff would have gotten under my skin….lol

19. Unkyd - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Boy, it seems like Desi's been he'll on the bases, all year! Lucky to get that error, but aggressive players make their own luck, sometimes?

20. MicheleS - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:23 AM

NATSJACK if you are posting somewhere from Viera, Any signs of Stras? I am curious of our evalution of him? Also, what did you see of RZim? I am trying to find a way to get to the Potomac Nats to see him

21. masnstinks - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:24 AM

The lead off guy got on! However – the results are the same …

22. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM

0 for 2 RISP already.

23. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM

MicheleS – I think RZim is playing at Hagerstown tomorrow.

24. MicheleS - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Anon.. 8:25… wish i could get there so I could see Harper but alas can't go….

25. Unkyd - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Ankiel. Wasn't he gonna sit down for the lefties….wasn't that the line, back early on? Does he hit 'em any better than Nix?

26. MicheleS - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Bernie would have made that catch…..

27. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:34 AM

McCatty needs to get on these pitchers abou walking people and letting them score. I am getting tired of it. BTW: Mike Quade (Spelling) of the Cubs was a bigger idiot than Riggleman today. UI called it before the play, and low and behold he lost because of it.

28. onedownonetogo - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM

So-we load up the bases and can't score – they get a walk and a hit and they score. Ankiel's routes to the ball are quite creative. Why is it that he is a good outfielder? Oh – he has a good arm, once he has the ball and — oh, he can't hit worth anything. And — why did Werth get hit by another pitch? Was it an accident again? Frustration mounting again as the lead-off guy is out on just 2, count them , 2 , pitches. One, two, three before I can post this – just ugly.

29. MicheleS - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Manassas Natsfan Said:BTW: Mike Quade (Spelling) of the Cubs was a bigger idiot than Riggleman today. UI called it before the play, and low and behold he lost because of it. Which is why the CUBS should have hired Ryne Sanberg (SP) instead!!!!

30. MicheleS - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:41 AM

With Werth getting hit.. I am thinking the call earlier about a benches clearing brawl is dead on! I would love to see Livo out there throwing a haymacker!!!!

31. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:42 AM

As Mr Boz said a culture of losing …..and bases loaded and no runs is a losing culture ……how is that the next inning it is all energy is drained from the team ….I really am baffled how many Cy Youngs are on other teams can we get one of those

32. Unkyd - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:51 AM

It's hard to be TOO upset with having "Old Vet" Junior Hairston on the club…

33. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Am I seeing things or does Morse use an interlocking (or perhaps overlapping) golf grip on the bat? I've hear of golfers using a baseball grip but never of a baseball player using a golf grip.

34. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Arizona obviously didn't think Morse was as good as his hit streak was as they twice pitched around Werth to get to Morse who struck out swinging poorly at a bunch of pitches. Team now is 0 for 4 RISP. I guess they just can't keep any consistency at the plate.

35. onedownonetogo - Jun 5, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Their pitcher is toying with our hitters and they are falling for everything he does. He and his defense have given us multiple base-runners and our offense is back to being completely ineffective. How many chances do they think a first place team will give them?

36. Unkyd - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Let's keep getting on base…. We're bound to plate a couple, eventually, right?C'mon, you lousy clowns!!! A little support for Livo, for once in his life, already?!

37. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I'm hardly asking for Mr. .195 to give us a hit, but when exactly was the last time Rick Ankiel even hit a ball hard?

38. JaneB - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM

We are making our first excursion to see a Suns game tomorrow. It cracked me up that their website advertises tomorrow as "Ryan Zimmerman's debut as a Sun!". Which, actually, it is. Maybe we will see some of you there.Missing Bernie.

39. MicheleS - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Calling Mr. Zimmerman and Mr Harper… please come up and save this offense.. it stinks and is on life support!

40. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Cy Saunders who was giving up.364 average at home looking like Cy Young. ANkiel what is his purpose in this game. doesn't attempt to catch Drews hit as he was playing too shallow, and doesn't bother to swing the bat. He is another one that can go.

41. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:10 AM

@JaneB: Can you please kidnap Mr. H while you're there and bring him where he belongs?

42. George Brett - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I can't believe harper today couldn't hit better and field as well as Ankiel. I simply couldn't believe it. My guess is he would come in bat .270 or more.Harman Killibrew played when he was 18, Al Kaline played when he was 18, A-Rod played when he was 19. Why do they think Harper will take longer, when they say he is more talented?

43. onedownnowtwotogo - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Alright, now that Slaten is gone, perhaps Ankiel is next on the chopping block ( after, you-know-who). He looks pretty bad out there in the field and at the plate. I thought he was advertised as a good defender. Bernie makes that catch out there. At this point, Nix, who was not advertised as a good defender, is much, much , better and is not in the game. Go figure.

44. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:13 AM

We only have 15 more outs. With Ankiel, Bixler, et al, they're going to be burned up fast. As Yogi says, "It gets late early out there."

45. dryw - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Livo got lucky there. The boys have GOT to score him some runs!!

46. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Mark's 9:06 update: "I know [Ankiel]'s arm is as good as it gets, and I know the Nats' outfield options are limited. But seriously, there's got to be a better option than this, right?"Unfortunately, having decided to keep Matt Stairs on the roster, the Nats options are even more limited than they would otherwise be. Stairs continues to hold a roster slot that could and should be used for a all-around ballplayer — someone who could play in the field, hit, and even run for himself if he got on base. I hate to sound like a broken record, but keeping Stairs on the team is an insult to all of us who root for the Nats. It demonstrates a lack of seriousness about winning ballgames.

47. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:27 AM

12 outs…tick…tick…tick

48. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Why are the Nats limited in replacing people who clearly are not working …..on a culture of losing team you keep saying that the next card will break right ….but not enough cards do and you are left with a continued culture of losing

49. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Agreeing with Manassas Nats Fan.This pitcher is NOTH-ing. .364 average against AT HOME. And.we.make.him.look.like.Cy.Young.It really makes me want to puke.

50. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Now how many players right now on this team have won the WS but clearly not this team ….. Pudge, Werth, Livo, Stairs? Hairston Nix? Wang?

51. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:33 AM

this is third time I am trying to post this. Ummm.5 hits in 15 innings. Same old same old.

52. Unkyd - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Love Bixlers hustle, but he and Ankiel aren't hitting AT ALL… Righty or lefty. Nix and The Shark are a lower % play than this? Hard to believe…

53. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Well it was fun watching Livo walking in the park singing in the rain going for the grounder …

54. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Ahh Ankeil and on another track Ray, FP

55. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:37 AM

"Nix and The Shark are a lower % play than this? Hard to believe… ""Roger Bernadina will play every day either in the majors or in AAA" — Mike Rizzo"Roger Bernadina is my lead off hitter"– Interim Jim Riggleman"I can't abandon Ankiel … at this point?" — Interim Jim RigglemanInterim Jim Riggleman .442 winning percentage as a manager: lowest in the modern history of baseball dating from 1900.

56. MicheleS - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Why does our offense make the others team pitcher look like the second coming of Walter Johnson??? I mean really… the Angels dumped this guy.. why can't we score RUNS…

57. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Cy Saunders wishes Hairston took the day off. I am now starting to think I would like Sandburg in the dugout and have him hire ANdre Dawson as hitting coach. These hitters need something to change. The losing environment needs to be pushed away.

58. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Rick Ankiel over his last 11-plus games: .071 average, .071 OBP, .071 slugging percentage. I know this guy's arm is as good as it gets, and I know the Nats' outfield options are limited. But seriously, there's got to be a better option than this, right?Jim Riggleman the epitome of baseball cronyism.

59. Anonymous8 - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Back to a typical Livo start with no run support. Saunders opened the door a few times.

60. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Only MASN would give away a trip to Philly as a get away…would you give a trip to Boston if a Yankee fan as a get away …..I do not think so

61. The Perfectionist - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:42 AM

@ ManassasI have concluded that as fans we care about winning more than the players do. They show how much they care by the little things they can't do.

62. onedownnowtwotogo - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:43 AM

The fact that Nix and Bernie are not in the game right now and Ankiel is – just making me crazy. We saw a glimpse of what this team could be when it is clicking. This -is-not-it!!

63. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:45 AM

64. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM

2 games in a row the Nats 2nd leading hitter has not played. Two games in which offense was a problem. Why? Jim Riggleman.

65. Unkyd - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM

C'mon, boyz….. Don't waste 6 innings of 2 hit ball…. A little love, foe Papa Livo…?GO NATS!!!!!!!! Rally caps, anyone?

66. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM

I can see why all the teams are so envious of the Nats getting Ramos. Missile arm, good skill set. A lot of credit for the tutoring Pudge is giving him.I know a defensive back with the Colts that was paying Darrell Green for tutoring in the off-season. For Ramos to get training during the game is amazing.

67. dryw - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:52 AM

6 outs, Sunshine. Six….

68. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:53 AM

I saw on ESPN tonight that Jeter didn't have a K in his last 43 at bats. Can someone say how many K's our everyday players have in their last 43 at bats?

69. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Cy Saunders does it again/Loved Ray Knight's comment, and it is what we all have been complaining about. It goes back to hitting coach allowing it too. Why do they swing at a bunch of pitching in the dirt, but will allow a ball right over the plate to go by for strike 3. Poorly coached is the only reason why.

70. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:55 AM

@dryw…tick…tick…tick. Is this freaking guy Sanders going the distance on us? Uu-freaking-believable.

71. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Must be a Angelos rule that MASN must mention the Expo's at least once a broadcast ….I really do NOT care about the Expos

72. MicheleS - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:56 AM

JaneB: Please give a full report on your visit to the Suns Tomorow! Very jealous..AND YES THE RALLY CAPS ARE ON!!!Come people show us some NATSLOVE!!!

73. masnstinks - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Good pitching and good defense. Love Ramos! But,our hitters are totally lost at the plate. Do you think our manager ever, ever puts together a line-up where his only agenda is winning? Or is there always getting someone playing time, can't hit against lefty or righty, have to see what someone can do,etc.,etc. It's depressing how our offense so often looks completely over-matched.

74. Ernie - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:59 AM

We have 3 left-handed batting outfielders. Why did Ankiel get to be the one to start? I would like to hear an answer to that from someone in charge. (I almost said someone "with responsibility" but no one seems to have that on this team.

75. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:01 AM

onedown – It is a lefty pitching. A good move by Riggleman to save them for pinch hitting. Ankiel is worse against left-handers … by a long shot. And he is a left-handed hitter. And Bernadina is supposed to be starting every game … at least according to Rizzo. Bernadina only has 22 at bats against lefties … you have to find out if he can hit lefties to find out if he is part of the future. Ankiel is not a part of the future. It serves no purpose playing a guy with absolutely NO BAT, not a better glove … his only "tool" is his arm. And that's just not enough to justify putting him in the starting lineup.

76. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:04 AM

There goes whatever momentum they gained in the Phillies series. In part due to Riggleman again making decisions based on partiality and emotion as opposed to baseball acumen. As they said to Caine in Kung Fu: "Time for you to leave" Jim Riggleman.

77. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:05 AM

I'm watching the game on MLB.TV, which is showing the D-backs' feed.Joe Garagiola — yes, that Joe Garagiola — is doing the color commentary. When told that Livan had just thrown a 59 MPH pitch, his response was:"It's got to be embarrassing when the catcher throws it back to you faster than you threw it to him."

78. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:08 AM

ankiel sucks and bixler is worse….wtf is going on riggs?? are bernie and nix hurt? gotta be some reason for this farce…

79. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Cy is leaving now. What will the excuse be now?

80. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Alex freaking Cora? As your pinch hitter? Seriously?

81. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:12 AM

82. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:15 AM

Jim Riggleman: .442 winning percentage as a manager. No one lower since 1900.

83. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Nix gets a hit. So, explain why he wasn't in the starting lineup again?

84. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:17 AM

@10:12I'm sure they're saving Stairs for a more critical situation.

85. Anonymous8 - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Gonat said… onedown – It is a lefty pitching. A good move by Riggleman to save them for pinch hitting. June 4, 2011 9:45 PM _________________________Glad someone spoke with some sense. Good call. Nix comes through as a pinch hitter.

86. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Michael Morse can get cold as fast as he can get hot. 0 for his last 8. Three times they pitched around Werth to get to Morse. Runner in scoring position each time. And Mikey strikes out three times.What is the deal here?Remember everyone was predicting a brawl tonight? There just might be one between the pitchers and the hitters in the club house. I know the pitchers have to be getting frustrated with the lack of production by the hitters. No excuse for this nonsense. 0 for 5 now with RISP with Mose being 0 for 3.

87. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:24 AM

What kind of odds are you giving me that this game ends with a Matt Stares strikeout?Looking. Of course.

88. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:24 AM

yeah it makes sense to sit one of your best hitters and play one of your worse hitters…so the worse hitter bats 3 or 4 times….and your better hitter hits once?!?!

89. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:24 AM

90. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:25 AM

How much of this can the FO justify …..I am tired really tired ……and the only moves they have made is find the DL for everybody ….but nothing no moves …even Bowden can do that

91. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:26 AM

This must be the best losing team in all of baseball history

92. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Ankeil has almost reached the LaRoche line

93. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:30 AM

alwright!!!!! ankiel gets to bat in the 9th!!!! we still gotta a chance!!!!

94. Mark'd - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Gonat, I think Morse got hosed. He should have had a 3-1 count there instead of 2-2.

95. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Wow, Bernadina in the on-deck over Stares? That is nutz!!!!!! or is it!!!!

96. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:38 AM

OK, they can take me away now. Anky hits.

97. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Is everyone happy now that Riggleman got ABs for Bernie and Nix and Ankiel got a hit.

98. dryw - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:39 AM

After the Red Sox won in the 14th, this is what Francona had to say:"You know what's amazing? I know the ninth inning isn't how we drew it up. But I never felt like we were going to lose," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "Maybe that's because we have good players. I think we all felt like we were going to win. It's a good feeling."I want to know what that feels like!!!

99. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:40 AM

omg ankiel gets a hit…now he'll start the next 3 games

100. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Hat trick on Sunday?

101. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Ohh this is getting to upsetting to be fun anymore

102. Mark'd - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:45 AM

I think Riggleman saw that Facebook website on Slaten and Stairs and has had it. They lost but gave it a good effort without Rizzo boys.

103. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Last night was a good pitcher, tonight wasn't. Not a good effort but I liked the players he played. Morse has 3 grand chances tonight to shine. Oh well.

104. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:48 AM

gonat….help me out here…what good is getting people at bats???? we are talking about winning games….u start your mendoza line hitter…i'll start my sub .300 one….

105. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Mark'd, you could be right. Riggleman obviously decided no more Stairs when the game is on the line. When is he going on the DL?Do you think Riggles phone will ring with Rizzo jumping on him for not batting Stares? Haha

106. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:52 AM

In a lefty lefty, I only have Werth for the OF now so I go 2 leftys or a lefty and Bixler and I want to save my 2 best lefties as soon as the DBacks go to the bullpen.Perfectly played by Riggleman as I predicted at the beginning of the game.Unfortunately, the 2-4-5 hitters choked tonight. I have no problem with what Ankiel did as you figure Bernadina would do the same. Hairston did a great job in the leadoff.

107. rogieshan - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Re: Bixler. Why does Riggleman insist on digging himself into a hole? Screw the percentages. Does Bixler really merit a start over Nix? Why not just put Guzman in the outfield…oh, wait.

108. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:58 AM

rogieshan, yes, Bixler over Nix with the hopes you get Saunders out of the game earlier and Nix then comes in.You guys have to stop thinking for the sake of complaining. It was the right move only Bixler is a light hitting guy.

109. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Has the brawl started yet?I need to look for the facebook page Dump Ankiel.

110. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:00 AM

>>>You guys have to stop thinking for the sake of complaining. It was the right move only Bixler is a light hitting guy.<<<Bixler is a non-hitting guy.Start Nix against lefties, just move him down the lineup.

111. CBinDC - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:01 AM

So lets run this down we have a team that is great but can not win games, has the greatest hitting coach but the team is the worse in the league in batting, a great PH specialist who can not get a hit, the greatest stadium that was just rated #26 out of 30 by the NYTimes. Feels like I am missing something ………what could it be ?

112. Mark'd - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Gonat, if Hairston wasn't the hitting star they would have complained about him to.I have no prob with Nix sitting AT THE START OF THE GAME.

113. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:05 AM

But why are we even debating this? Bixler shouldn't even be on the roster!!!

114. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Anon, Bixler is a good kid who has contributed more than Stares. You will get your wish when Zim comes back. This is on Rizzo and the roster and Free Agents he has signed.

115. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Mark'd, I have no problem with tonight's lineup tonight as I stated.This team seems to be in a trance when Livo pitches. They play more aggressive when Marquis pitches. I think teams take on the personalities of their pitchers.

116. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Iw would DFA Stairs before Bixler when Zim comes back. Bixler might be light hitting ut he can fill in places Stairs is not light hitting and adds nothing else.

117. Mark'd - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Gonat, I agree with you and wasn't disageeing.

118. Anonymous8 - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Manassas, I would DFA Stairs too but it wont happen like that. I think that rotten meat that Cora ate was meant for Stairs as that is the only way to rid ourselves of that guy.Amazing he hasn't taken the high road and retired.

119. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:17 AM

>>>Anon, Bixler is a good kid who has contributed more than Stares.<<<Trust me, I want Stairs gone too! They're not mutually exclusive options.

120. Anonymous - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Just had to DFA two of my employees for not make quota. Guess, in the majors where they make much more money they hate to DFA people for not producing.

121. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Bixler is not the issue. That kid is gone as soon as Zim is activated.The issue remains Stares. If Riggs doesn't use the slug as a lefty PH in a close game like tonight, what exactly is the slug doing clogging up a roster spot? There.s 6.4 billion people on the face of this earth. We think Matt Stares is one of the 25 best ballplayers we can find? Pathetic.Memo to Mike Rizzo: It's time this guy is Cabrera'd.

122. Anonymous8 - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Gonat said… Here we go with Michael Morse. 3 big opportunities tonight and he isn't going in getting the speeds on the balls. A lot of ugly swing and miss. June 4, 2011 10:24 PM ______________________________Well, yah, that is where most of the frustration should be as the opportunities were definitely there.I don't want to blame anyone except Rizzo as Stares and Slaten are on his conscience. This team would have been different if they moved quicker on Broderick, Gaudin, and Slaten and we are still stuck with Stares.

123. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Good news down on the farm. Lefty Rosenbaum throws a 3 hit shutout.

124. Gonat - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Anonymous8 said… I think that rotten meat that Cora ate was meant for Stairs as that is the only way to rid ourselves of that guy.____________________________________That is hilarious. So the food poisining got the wrong Lefty Pinch Hitter!

125. Latin is dead to me - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Anonymous said…I'll let Kilgore speak for me:This is kind of odd. Alex Cora — not Stairs or Bernadina — will pinch-hit to lead off the eighth. I'll await the explanation.June 4, 2011 10:12 PMClearly Peric "picking and choosing" a reporter to quote (or likely, take out of context)

126. Manassas Nats Fan - Jun 5, 2011 at 3:35 AM

I believe another night where takes me a long time to fall asleep. I take loses hard. I suspect I have a harder time sleeping than the the team does. I guess I care too much. That is my choice I know, but I love baseball I love good baseball, and care that we are not getting it.

127. natsfan1a - Jun 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Losing like that stinks but I don't tend to lose sleep over losses. More often I'm giddy after a win and can't get to sleep.Re. Livo, also enjoyed him playing kick the pebble as he walked off the field in one inning. And seeing the 59 MPH pitch. I love when he does that. Don't love when he gets these tough luck losses, though. Too bad our offense couldn't get it done.

128. Richard - Jun 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM

This has to be one of the least productive offenses in history, at least in my history as a fan. May I have a go at listing the problemos? A team could digest one rookie or semi rookie not hitting but two? Both Desmond and Espinoza aren't getting on base at a major league rate. Espinoza arguably makes up for the lack of OBP with his power (thank you Danny for providing some great moments in another otherwise pretty dismal year). Both are great defenders this year, beautiful to watch. I saw Kelso in Hagerstown last night, he of the .340 BA. He got two more hits against some pretty tough pitching. Maybe there's hope? Or does Desmond have to play regardless of BA or OBP b/c Riggs thinks he's a "real pro", Riggs' one adjective. Maybe if Espinoza turns out to be a superstar Desi wouldn't have to hit that much. Then the Z Man goes down. Ouch. Then Adam LaR can't connect with that great swing of his. He gamely says his injury doesn't affect his swing but maybe it does. I'm still trying to accept the sudden jettison of Morgan without a trial run to begin 2011 or any leadoff alternatives on the horizon — and the adoption of Ankiel, who is bizarrely declared to have won the job in ST all evidence to the contrary not withstanding. (I believe Riggs has in fact legally adopted Ankiel who now must play regularly despite Nix's superior play.) Then there's Bernadina who has demonstrated over the ample opportunity he's had this year and last that he's a marginal major leaguer, so far. Then young Wilson Ramos turns out not to be Johhnny Bench yet with the stick. Then there's Werth being the good offensive player and great defender he's always been but not the "savior." Then there's Stairs … now there's astonishing failure — and what to do you say about a team that sticks with it regardless? Courage of convictions? Bull headed? Anyway, Nix, Hairston and Cora have helped but it's a heavy burden. It's a weird year though. Our friend Adam Dunn is on an historical pace of failure. Maybe it's the DH role and the Big Contract? Dunno but wow; it's sad to watch. Sorry for the long yet-it-off-your-chest post but this Nats Insider trail is probably cold enough so that most posters have moved on.