Jun 4, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
Updated at 6:40 p.m.
PHOENIX — The Nationals have placed struggling left-hander Doug Slaten on the 15-day disabled list with irritation of the ulnar nerve in his throwing elbow and recalled right-hander Craig Stammen from Class AAA Syracuse to take his roster spot.
After watching Slaten allow a three-run triple to Stephen Drew in the fifth inning of Friday night’s game, manager Jim Riggleman speculated the reliever might not be 100 percent physically. Asked by reporters about his health, Slaten (who has allowed 15 of 30 inherited runners to score this season) said he was fine.
On Saturday, though, Slaten acknowledged the elbow issue, saying it seemed to be affecting his command. The Nationals, who had already shut him down for several days last week, decided to place him on the DL.
“I think we need to shut him down, get him checked out, see if there’s something going on there,” Riggleman said. “Because he’s experiencing some things that are just not typical of Doug. He’s not throwing strikes, he’s getting behind hitters. He’s better than that.”
Though he boasted a 2.19 ERA in 23 appearances, Slaten was having all kinds of trouble stranding inherited runners on base. He also was
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1