Jun 4, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
Updated at 6:40 p.m.
PHOENIX — The Nationals have placed struggling left-hander Doug Slaten on the 15-day disabled list with irritation of the ulnar nerve in his throwing elbow and recalled right-hander Craig Stammen from Class AAA Syracuse to take his roster spot.
After watching Slaten allow a three-run triple to Stephen Drew in the fifth inning of Friday night’s game, manager Jim Riggleman speculated the reliever might not be 100 percent physically. Asked by reporters about his health, Slaten (who has allowed 15 of 30 inherited runners to score this season) said he was fine.
On Saturday, though, Slaten acknowledged the elbow issue, saying it seemed to be affecting his command. The Nationals, who had already shut him down for several days last week, decided to place him on the DL.
“I think we need to shut him down, get him checked out, see if there’s something going on there,” Riggleman said. “Because he’s experiencing some things that are just not typical of Doug. He’s not throwing strikes, he’s getting behind hitters. He’s better than that.”
Though he boasted a 2.19 ERA in 23 appearances, Slaten was having all kinds of trouble stranding inherited runners on base. He also was
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1