Jun 4, 2011, 6:21 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Yunesky Maya couldn’t pitch through the fifth inning Friday night.
PHOENIX — The proliferation of advanced statistics has given baseball executives and fans alike new ways to look at players and performances, understanding some numbers don’t always accurately tell the story.
At the end of the day, though, the point of this sport is to help your team win games. And that’s simply not something Yunesky Maya has shown an ability to do since arriving in the major leagues last September.
On Friday night, Maya made his seventh career start. And for the seventh time, the Nationals lost the game, this one by a 4-0 count to the Diamondbacks.
Maya, who departed with one out in the fifth and the Nationals trailing only 1-0 at the time, was by no means the sole reason for this loss. Doug Slaten once again was unable to strand inherited runners and served up the bases-loaded triple that blew this game open. And a Washington lineup that had shown signs of life the previous three days was completely shut down by unheralded right-hander Josh Collmenter and two Arizona relievers.
But the onus still fell on Maya, who put his team in position to lose because he once again couldn’t navigate his way through the middle innings. Yanked by manager Jim Riggleman after plunking Justin Upton
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?