Jun 5, 2011, 4:51 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond was safe at third in the first inning but couldn’t score.
PHOENIX — There has been no more productive hitter in baseball the last month than Michael Morse, whose .405 average since May 1 leads all major leaguers. But even Morse would be the first to admit he’s no Ryan Zimmerman, and he certainly doesn’t command the kind of respect normally afforded the Nationals’ Silver Slugger third baseman.
So the fact the Diamondbacks were perfectly willing to pitch around Jayson Werth three times during Saturday’s game at Chase Field and take their chances with Morse shouldn’t have come as much surprise. If Zimmerman is hitting behind Werth, that doesn’t happen.
What also shouldn’t come as a surprise was the outcome of this game: a 2-0 loss to Arizona, the ninth time the Nationals have been shut out this season, the fifth time with Livan Hernandez on the mound.
It’s hard to imagine another pitcher in the majors having been dealt a tougher hand than Livo, who despite a 3.76 ERA and seven quality starts has just three wins and is tied for the NL lead with seven losses.
“Myself, right on down through the coaching staff and the players, we all feel just terrible about the way we’ve squandered chances to win ballgames when we’ve pitched this well,” manager Jim Riggleman said
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?