Jun 5, 2011, 4:51 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond was safe at third in the first inning but couldn’t score.
PHOENIX — There has been no more productive hitter in baseball the last month than Michael Morse, whose .405 average since May 1 leads all major leaguers. But even Morse would be the first to admit he’s no Ryan Zimmerman, and he certainly doesn’t command the kind of respect normally afforded the Nationals’ Silver Slugger third baseman.
So the fact the Diamondbacks were perfectly willing to pitch around Jayson Werth three times during Saturday’s game at Chase Field and take their chances with Morse shouldn’t have come as much surprise. If Zimmerman is hitting behind Werth, that doesn’t happen.
What also shouldn’t come as a surprise was the outcome of this game: a 2-0 loss to Arizona, the ninth time the Nationals have been shut out this season, the fifth time with Livan Hernandez on the mound.
It’s hard to imagine another pitcher in the majors having been dealt a tougher hand than Livo, who despite a 3.76 ERA and seven quality starts has just three wins and is tied for the NL lead with seven losses.
“Myself, right on down through the coaching staff and the players, we all feel just terrible about the way we’ve squandered chances to win ballgames when we’ve pitched this well,” manager Jim Riggleman said
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game