Jun 6, 2011, 2:30 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse is congratulated after hitting a grand slam in the top of the 11th.
PHOENIX — Five batters hit by pitch. Two pitchers and two managers ejected. A rookie catcher purposely taking his time around the bases on a home run to rub it into the opposing dugout. A titanic collapse in the bottom of the ninth. A grand slam in the top of the 11th. A combined 341 pitches thrown by a combined 12 pitchers.
How do you sum that one up?
“Awesome,” Rick Ankiel said, then added: “Since we won.”
Indeed, the Nationals had every reason to feel good about themselves after pulling off a wild, 9-4 victory in 11 innings over the Diamondbacks on Sunday, a 4-hour marathon that featured enough twists and turns to fill a week’s worth of games.
But had they lost this one, had they not rallied after blowing a late 4-run lead, the vibe inside the visitors clubhouse would have been as low as its been at any point this season.
“I think [you’d be] a little more pissed off, yeah,” said Ankiel, whose bases-loaded walk scored the go-ahead run and preceded Michael Morse’s clinching grand slam. “A little more mad, absolutely. There were some fireworks back and forth, and they come back and put an
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals