Jun 6, 2011, 2:30 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse is congratulated after hitting a grand slam in the top of the 11th.
PHOENIX — Five batters hit by pitch. Two pitchers and two managers ejected. A rookie catcher purposely taking his time around the bases on a home run to rub it into the opposing dugout. A titanic collapse in the bottom of the ninth. A grand slam in the top of the 11th. A combined 341 pitches thrown by a combined 12 pitchers.
How do you sum that one up?
“Awesome,” Rick Ankiel said, then added: “Since we won.”
Indeed, the Nationals had every reason to feel good about themselves after pulling off a wild, 9-4 victory in 11 innings over the Diamondbacks on Sunday, a 4-hour marathon that featured enough twists and turns to fill a week’s worth of games.
But had they lost this one, had they not rallied after blowing a late 4-run lead, the vibe inside the visitors clubhouse would have been as low as its been at any point this season.
“I think [you'd be] a little more pissed off, yeah,” said Ankiel, whose bases-loaded walk scored the go-ahead run and preceded Michael Morse’s clinching grand slam. “A little more mad, absolutely. There were some fireworks back and forth, and they come back and put an
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays