Jun 6, 2011, 2:30 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse is congratulated after hitting a grand slam in the top of the 11th.
PHOENIX — Five batters hit by pitch. Two pitchers and two managers ejected. A rookie catcher purposely taking his time around the bases on a home run to rub it into the opposing dugout. A titanic collapse in the bottom of the ninth. A grand slam in the top of the 11th. A combined 341 pitches thrown by a combined 12 pitchers.
How do you sum that one up?
“Awesome,” Rick Ankiel said, then added: “Since we won.”
Indeed, the Nationals had every reason to feel good about themselves after pulling off a wild, 9-4 victory in 11 innings over the Diamondbacks on Sunday, a 4-hour marathon that featured enough twists and turns to fill a week’s worth of games.
But had they lost this one, had they not rallied after blowing a late 4-run lead, the vibe inside the visitors clubhouse would have been as low as its been at any point this season.
“I think [you'd be] a little more pissed off, yeah,” said Ankiel, whose bases-loaded walk scored the go-ahead run and preceded Michael Morse’s clinching grand slam. “A little more mad, absolutely. There were some fireworks back and forth, and they come back and put an
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery