Jun 6, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
It's just about that time. The MLB Draft begins at 7 p.m. Eastern, and though the Nationals don't own the No. 1 pick as they did the last two years, they'll certainly be paying close attention to what players are selected 1 through 5 and who remains available when their No. 6 pick comes up.
Based on various mock drafts and conversations I've had both with Nats executives and writers covering other clubs, here's my best guess how the first five picks will go…
1. Pirates — Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA
2. Mariners — Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice
3. Diamondbacks — Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA
4. Orioles — Dylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso, Okla.
5. Royals — Bubba Starling, OF, Gardner, Kan.
If that all plays out — and mind you, there's no guarantee that's how it will go, I'm simply making an educated guess — the Nationals would be in position to draft left-hander Danny Hultzen of the University ofRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Around the NL East: Mets being cautious with Harvey
- Bryce Harper leaves game with 'left glute tightness'
- Zuckerman on criticism of Nationals, Harper's MVP hopes
- Strasburg won't make scheduled start Friday
- Nats add two more relievers as Sept. call-ups
- Pressure's on Scherzer in Cards series finale
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats