Jun 6, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
It's just about that time. The MLB Draft begins at 7 p.m. Eastern, and though the Nationals don't own the No. 1 pick as they did the last two years, they'll certainly be paying close attention to what players are selected 1 through 5 and who remains available when their No. 6 pick comes up.
Based on various mock drafts and conversations I've had both with Nats executives and writers covering other clubs, here's my best guess how the first five picks will go…
1. Pirates — Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA
2. Mariners — Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice
3. Diamondbacks — Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA
4. Orioles — Dylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso, Okla.
5. Royals — Bubba Starling, OF, Gardner, Kan.
If that all plays out — and mind you, there's no guarantee that's how it will go, I'm simply making an educated guess — the Nationals would be in position to draft left-hander Danny Hultzen of the University ofRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5
- Ramos catches Gonzalez for 1st time in months
- Nats seek first 4-game win streak in 2 months
- Strasburg keeps leading the charge for Nats rotation
- Nats Stock Watch: Rendon rediscovering his power stroke
- Quality at-bats propel Nationals to big win