Jun 6, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
On draft day 2009, Mike Rizzo was able to rest comfortably, knowing Stephen Strasburg was his (and no one else’s) to select.
On draft day 2010, Rizzo was again able to rest comfortably, knowing Bryce Harper was his (and no one else’s) to select.
Well, draft day 2011 has arrived, but there will be no comfortable resting for the Nationals general manager and his stable of scouts, only nervous energy as they wait for five other clubs to make selections before their turn finally arrives.
Unlike the last two years when they held the No. 1 overall pick, this time the Nationals select sixth. And they do so for a draft most experts believe has exactly six elite prospects: UCLA right-handers Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer, Virginia left-hander Danny Hultzen, Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon, Oklahoma high school right-hander Dylan
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen
- Nats roster preview: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bryce Harper has tickets to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies