Jun 6, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
On draft day 2009, Mike Rizzo was able to rest comfortably, knowing Stephen Strasburg was his (and no one else’s) to select.
On draft day 2010, Rizzo was again able to rest comfortably, knowing Bryce Harper was his (and no one else’s) to select.
Well, draft day 2011 has arrived, but there will be no comfortable resting for the Nationals general manager and his stable of scouts, only nervous energy as they wait for five other clubs to make selections before their turn finally arrives.
Unlike the last two years when they held the No. 1 overall pick, this time the Nationals select sixth. And they do so for a draft most experts believe has exactly six elite prospects: UCLA right-handers Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer, Virginia left-hander Danny Hultzen, Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon, Oklahoma high school right-hander Dylan
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job