Jun 7, 2011, 9:29 PM EDT
Marquis has appealed his suspension and thus will be able to continue playing until a hearing takes place. Riggleman will serve his suspension tonight in San Francisco, with bench coach John McLaren filling in as manager against the Giants.
MLB senior vice president of standards and on-field operations Joe Garagiola Jr. issued the suspensions after reviewing the incidents from Sunday’s game. Garagiola also suspended Diamondbacks reliever Esmerling Vasquez three games and manager Kirk Gibson one game for their roles. Vasquez has appealed; Gibson will serve his suspension tonight.
Sunday’s beanball war came at the conclusion of a series full of bad blood between the two clubs. Arizona right fielder Justin Upton was hit four times by pitches during the four-game series. Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth was hit three times.
Werth’s third plunking (on a fifth-inning pitch from Diamondbacks
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats