Jun 7, 2011, 9:29 PM EDT
Marquis has appealed his suspension and thus will be able to continue playing until a hearing takes place. Riggleman will serve his suspension tonight in San Francisco, with bench coach John McLaren filling in as manager against the Giants.
MLB senior vice president of standards and on-field operations Joe Garagiola Jr. issued the suspensions after reviewing the incidents from Sunday’s game. Garagiola also suspended Diamondbacks reliever Esmerling Vasquez three games and manager Kirk Gibson one game for their roles. Vasquez has appealed; Gibson will serve his suspension tonight.
Sunday’s beanball war came at the conclusion of a series full of bad blood between the two clubs. Arizona right fielder Justin Upton was hit four times by pitches during the four-game series. Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth was hit three times.
Werth’s third plunking (on a fifth-inning pitch from Diamondbacks
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager