Jun 7, 2011, 9:29 PM EST
Marquis has appealed his suspension and thus will be able to continue playing until a hearing takes place. Riggleman will serve his suspension tonight in San Francisco, with bench coach John McLaren filling in as manager against the Giants.
MLB senior vice president of standards and on-field operations Joe Garagiola Jr. issued the suspensions after reviewing the incidents from Sunday’s game. Garagiola also suspended Diamondbacks reliever Esmerling Vasquez three games and manager Kirk Gibson one game for their roles. Vasquez has appealed; Gibson will serve his suspension tonight.
Sunday’s beanball war came at the conclusion of a series full of bad blood between the two clubs. Arizona right fielder Justin Upton was hit four times by pitches during the four-game series. Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth was hit three times.
Werth’s third plunking (on a fifth-inning pitch from Diamondbacks
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins