Jun 7, 2011, 12:22 AM EDT
Updated at 11:09 p.m.
At the mercy of five other clubs lined up in front of them after holding the No. 1 pick in each of the last two drafts, the Nationals tonight may have managed to get the best player of the entire class anyways.
Washington selected Anthony Rendon with the sixth overall pick, surprised and elated the Rice third baseman was passed over by five franchises clearly concerned about the state of his right shoulder.
“We were pleasantly surprised, yes, that he got to us at 6,” general manager Mike Rizzo said during a conference call minutes after making the selection. “He was projected to be the No. 1 pick, the best college hitter in the game. And throughout the college season and draft season, he held onto that status. As late as about 24 hours ago, he was supposedly going 1 or 2 in the draft. So we’re pleasantly surprised.”
Owners of two more first-round picks as compensation for losing Adam Dunn to free agency, the Nationals selected 6-foot-9 Kentucky right-hander Alex Meyer with the 23rd pick. They later took Brian Goodwin, an outfielder from Miami Dade College, with the 34th pick.
The 6-foot, 190-pound Rendon, who happens to turn 21 today, entered his junior season at Rice widely considered the best amateur player in the country. But a shoulder injury — the details of which were
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs