Jun 7, 2011, 11:01 PM EDT
Three hundred and sixty-four days ago, Stephen Strasburg was in Washington, full of nervous anticipation for his major-league debut the following night. Little did the right-hander know how things would progress that night, nor how things would progress over the next year.
This afternoon, speaking to reporters on a conference call from Viera, Fla., where he continues to rehab following Tommy John surgery on his right elbow, Strasburg made it clear he doesn't think much about what happened one year ago but rather what will be happening in the future.
"I haven't really thought about it much, to be honest," he said when asked about the one-year anniversary of his 14-strikeout debut. "It was an amazing experience, but it's kind of foggy right now. I'm really focused on living in the now. I've got a lot of work to do, and I've got a lot of work ahead of me. My goal right now is to get back to 100 percent, go out there and fill up the stadium like I did on that day."
Strasburg had the ligament replacement surgery Sept. 3, and he remains on schedule in his recovery. He recently began throwing off a bullpen mound, and though he's only throwing 30 to 40 fastballs atRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win