Jun 7, 2011, 11:24 PM EDT
Bryce Harper's home run trot from last night's game against Greensboro has drawn considerable attention from all over the sporting world today. The video of the 18-year-old blowing a kiss toward pitcher Zachary Neal has shown up on ESPN, MLB Network and countless other TV stations and websites and drawn reaction from ex-ballplayers, baseball executives and talking heads.
But how big a deal was this? Did Harper's actions constitute a major breach of baseball etiquette or signal a major underlying issue about his maturity level? Some say yes, but I'm not so sure.
First of all, we don't know what exactly Neal and other Greensboro players were saying or doing before the home run or as Harper rounded the bases. We do know he has been on the receiving end of plenty of taunting and assorted jabs from opposing teams and fans during his brief time in Hagerstown, as you might expect would be the case for an 18-year-old phenom playing in the minor leagues for the first time.
Second, the Nationals aren't treating this as though it's a major infraction of any kind. Though team officials have spoken to him, heRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship