Jun 8, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals gambled in drafting TCU left-hander Matt Purke in the third round.
First off, sorry I'm just getting to this now. I was traveling yesterday, and by the time I got back to D.C., I was greeted with the news of Jason Marquis and Jim Riggleman's suspensions, a Stephen Strasburg conference call, Bryce Harper's Kiss-Gate and then last night's game.
The other news from yesterday, of course, was the second day of the amateur draft, with 29 rounds completed. The Nationals didn't own a second-round pick (they lost that one to the Phillies after signing Jayson Werth as a free agent) but they did make a splash with their third-round pick: Matt Purke.
Purke, a left-hander from TCU, was widely considered a potential top-5 pick (maybe even the top pick in the nation) before this season began. But like first-round selection Anthony Rendon, a shoulder injury limited the pitcher's appearances and raised question marks for scouts and executives across baseball.
Purke went 16-0 with a 3.02 ERA and 142 strikeouts in 116 innings his freshman year, leading the Horned Frogs to the College World Series. But he was limited to only 11 starts this year, though he did performRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder