Jun 8, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals gambled in drafting TCU left-hander Matt Purke in the third round.
First off, sorry I'm just getting to this now. I was traveling yesterday, and by the time I got back to D.C., I was greeted with the news of Jason Marquis and Jim Riggleman's suspensions, a Stephen Strasburg conference call, Bryce Harper's Kiss-Gate and then last night's game.
The other news from yesterday, of course, was the second day of the amateur draft, with 29 rounds completed. The Nationals didn't own a second-round pick (they lost that one to the Phillies after signing Jayson Werth as a free agent) but they did make a splash with their third-round pick: Matt Purke.
Purke, a left-hander from TCU, was widely considered a potential top-5 pick (maybe even the top pick in the nation) before this season began. But like first-round selection Anthony Rendon, a shoulder injury limited the pitcher's appearances and raised question marks for scouts and executives across baseball.
Purke went 16-0 with a 3.02 ERA and 142 strikeouts in 116 innings his freshman year, leading the Horned Frogs to the College World Series. But he was limited to only 11 starts this year, though he did performRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4