Jun 8, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Nationals gambled in drafting TCU left-hander Matt Purke in the third round.
First off, sorry I'm just getting to this now. I was traveling yesterday, and by the time I got back to D.C., I was greeted with the news of Jason Marquis and Jim Riggleman's suspensions, a Stephen Strasburg conference call, Bryce Harper's Kiss-Gate and then last night's game.
The other news from yesterday, of course, was the second day of the amateur draft, with 29 rounds completed. The Nationals didn't own a second-round pick (they lost that one to the Phillies after signing Jayson Werth as a free agent) but they did make a splash with their third-round pick: Matt Purke.
Purke, a left-hander from TCU, was widely considered a potential top-5 pick (maybe even the top pick in the nation) before this season began. But like first-round selection Anthony Rendon, a shoulder injury limited the pitcher's appearances and raised question marks for scouts and executives across baseball.
Purke went 16-0 with a 3.02 ERA and 142 strikeouts in 116 innings his freshman year, leading the Horned Frogs to the College World Series. But he was limited to only 11 starts this year, though he did performRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1