Jun 8, 2011, 1:30 AM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Jonathan Sanchez tonight at AT&T Park.
The Nationals have held late 4-0 leads each of the last two days, only to watch as the opposition rallied to tie and send the game into extra innings. Sunday in Phoenix, they withstood it and emerged victorious in 11 innings. Last night in San Francisco, they couldn't put together another rally and wound up losing in the 13th.
The most encouraging things about both games were the quality performances the Nats got from their starting pitchers: Jason Marquis and John Lannan. They'll hope for a similar performance tonight from Jordan Zimmermann, who has posted six consecutive quality starts, and then hope the lineup can produce against Giants left-hander Jonathan Sanchez.
Jim Riggleman won't be managing tonight's game — he's serving a one-game suspension handed down today by MLB for his role in Sunday's beanball war. Bench coach John McLaren will be running the show, with help from pitching coach Steve McCatty.
I'm not in San Francisco for this series, but based on last night's comments, it appears many of you are staying up late to watch the game. So please enjoy again tonight…
NATIONALS at GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 56 degrees, Wind 13 mph out to CF
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers