Jun 8, 2011, 1:30 AM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Jonathan Sanchez tonight at AT&T Park.
The Nationals have held late 4-0 leads each of the last two days, only to watch as the opposition rallied to tie and send the game into extra innings. Sunday in Phoenix, they withstood it and emerged victorious in 11 innings. Last night in San Francisco, they couldn't put together another rally and wound up losing in the 13th.
The most encouraging things about both games were the quality performances the Nats got from their starting pitchers: Jason Marquis and John Lannan. They'll hope for a similar performance tonight from Jordan Zimmermann, who has posted six consecutive quality starts, and then hope the lineup can produce against Giants left-hander Jonathan Sanchez.
Jim Riggleman won't be managing tonight's game — he's serving a one-game suspension handed down today by MLB for his role in Sunday's beanball war. Bench coach John McLaren will be running the show, with help from pitching coach Steve McCatty.
I'm not in San Francisco for this series, but based on last night's comments, it appears many of you are staying up late to watch the game. So please enjoy again tonight…
NATIONALS at GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 56 degrees, Wind 13 mph out to CF
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig