Jun 8, 2011, 5:54 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's the rubber game of the three-game series at AT&T Park.
If nothing else, the Nationals have firmly established they can play low-scoring, close ballgames with the defending World Series champions. The six head-to-head meetings with the Giants so far have included three one-run games, one two-run game and two three-run games. The Nats have gone 4-2, not bad when you consider the competition.
Today, they'll shoot for a series victory at AT&T Park, hoping beyond hope that Yunesky Maya can reverse course and duplicate what his fellow rotation mates have been doing for a while. Over the last seven games, Nationals starters not named Yunesky Maya have gone 4-1 with a 1.40 ERA. Not one has allowed more than two earned runs.
Facing a tough right-hander in Matt Cain, the Nats' lineup will be depleted once again. Jayson Werth has been scratched for the second straight day with a sore ankle. Jerry Hairston also is both banged-up and ineligible. After tweaking his back last night, Hairston decided to drop the appeal of his one-game suspension and just serve today while he's not 100 percent healthy anyway.
Enjoy the afternoon game from San Francisco, and enjoy the conversation amongst yourselves…
NATIONALS at GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 3:45 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 61 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Laynce Nix
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats