Jun 8, 2011, 5:54 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's the rubber game of the three-game series at AT&T Park.
If nothing else, the Nationals have firmly established they can play low-scoring, close ballgames with the defending World Series champions. The six head-to-head meetings with the Giants so far have included three one-run games, one two-run game and two three-run games. The Nats have gone 4-2, not bad when you consider the competition.
Today, they'll shoot for a series victory at AT&T Park, hoping beyond hope that Yunesky Maya can reverse course and duplicate what his fellow rotation mates have been doing for a while. Over the last seven games, Nationals starters not named Yunesky Maya have gone 4-1 with a 1.40 ERA. Not one has allowed more than two earned runs.
Facing a tough right-hander in Matt Cain, the Nats' lineup will be depleted once again. Jayson Werth has been scratched for the second straight day with a sore ankle. Jerry Hairston also is both banged-up and ineligible. After tweaking his back last night, Hairston decided to drop the appeal of his one-game suspension and just serve today while he's not 100 percent healthy anyway.
Enjoy the afternoon game from San Francisco, and enjoy the conversation amongst yourselves…
NATIONALS at GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 3:45 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 61 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF
LF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Laynce Nix
1B Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order