Jun 9, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Petco Park in San Diego hosts the Nationals for a four-game series.
The Nationals open a four-game series against the Padres tonight, and there's good news on the injury front: Both Danny Espinosa and Jayson Werth are back in the lineup.
Espinosa took a pitch off his left hand to end yesterday's game in San Francisco and appeared to be in serious pain at the time. But the second baseman insisted to manager Jim Riggleman he was fine and wanted to play tonight, and sure enough, he's back in there. Werth, meanwhile, missed the last two games with a sore ankle after tripping over the bullpen mound at AT&T Park tracking down a hit.
Livan Hernandez starts the opener of this series, facing a Padres lineup that remains baseball's least-productive but could get an infusion of power with today's call-up of top prospect Anthony Rizzo. The 21-year-old first baseman is batting seventh in manager Bud Black's lineup.
I'm not in San Diego for the series, but please enjoy another late-night game from the West Coast and the ongoing conversation as always…
NATIONALS at PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 64 degrees, Wind 8 mph LF to RF
CF Rick Ankiel
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper scratched from tonight's game
- Nats put Strasburg on the disabled list
- Nats need quality start from Gonzalez in Cincy
- Cingrani has little remorse for hitting Harper
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news