Jun 10, 2011, 2:19 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Struggling left-hander Sean Burnett's ERA is up to 5.96.
The Nationals' formula for success this season has been simple: 1) Get good pitching. 2) Play good defense. 3) Get a couple of timely hits.
Impressively, they've managed to accomplish Parts 1 and 2 with a level of consistency few could have predicted entering the season. Part 3? Well, we've dissected the Nats' offensive woes ad nauseum. Nothing really new to say there. This lineup is what it is. Besides, as long as they continue to take care of Parts 1 and 2, they'll stay competitive and win their share of games.
Except Part 1 doesn't appear to be a certainty anymore, especially when it comes to a Nationals' bullpen that has hit a bit of a rough patch in the last two weeks.
Mind you, the Nationals have more significant woes than their bullpen. Their biggest problem is and will continue to be their lack of offense. But in order to win games with the formula they've created for themselves, they can't afford any prolonged slip-ups in any other departments. And right now, the bullpen is slipping up.
When Livan Hernandez departed last night's game in San Diego with two on and one out in the sixth, the Nats trailed 4-2. Livo was by no means in top form, but the game was still within reach for his team. Sean Burnett and Cole Kimball, though, proceeded to issue back-to-back walks (Kimball's with the bases loaded) and then aRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB