Jun 10, 2011, 11:30 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis faces Mat Latos tonight at Petco Park.
News flash: Stephen Strasburg was throwing off a mound at Petco Park earlier today, wearing a full Nationals uniform. Reality: The San Diego native merely took this opportunity to go home for a few days and throw a light bullpen session in front of Nats coaches and trainers.
Oh well, we'll just have to wait until September (or later) for Strasburg to officially be back pitching in a big-league game. Tonight, Jason Marquis starts for the Nationals, coming off his unusual outing in Arizona in which he pretty much dominated for five innings before getting ejected in the sixth after plunking Justin Upton in the ribs.
The Padres counter with Mat Latos, a tough, young right-hander who has been mighty tough on the Nationals in his brief career: 3-0, 1.93 ERA in three starts. Latos was born in Alexandria, and though he moved at a young age and grew up in Florida, he's still got close relatives in the D.C. area.
It'll be another late-night affair on the West Coast, but at least it's the weekend now. Enjoy the game and the conversation…
NATIONALS at PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 65 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B