Jun 10, 2011, 11:30 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis faces Mat Latos tonight at Petco Park.
News flash: Stephen Strasburg was throwing off a mound at Petco Park earlier today, wearing a full Nationals uniform. Reality: The San Diego native merely took this opportunity to go home for a few days and throw a light bullpen session in front of Nats coaches and trainers.
Oh well, we'll just have to wait until September (or later) for Strasburg to officially be back pitching in a big-league game. Tonight, Jason Marquis starts for the Nationals, coming off his unusual outing in Arizona in which he pretty much dominated for five innings before getting ejected in the sixth after plunking Justin Upton in the ribs.
The Padres counter with Mat Latos, a tough, young right-hander who has been mighty tough on the Nationals in his brief career: 3-0, 1.93 ERA in three starts. Latos was born in Alexandria, and though he moved at a young age and grew up in Florida, he's still got close relatives in the D.C. area.
It'll be another late-night affair on the West Coast, but at least it's the weekend now. Enjoy the game and the conversation…
NATIONALS at PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 10:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 65 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?