Jun 11, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan faces Clayton Richard tonight at Petco Park.
What do you do when you're facing a left-handed starter and have no traditional, right-handed leadoff option on your side? You do what Jim Riggleman is doing tonight with the Nationals' lineup against Clayton Richard: Jayson Werth leads off, John Lannan bats eighth and Roger Bernadina bats ninth.
Yes, you read that correctly.
The rationale: Werth gets on base more than anyone else on the Nats' roster, especially against a lefty. But you don't want him also hitting behind the pitcher. So the first time through the lineup, Werth leads off. But essentially, Bernadina becomes the leadoff man the second time through, hitting in front of Werth. Hey, why not?
Earlier start tonight in San Diego (5:35 p.m. local time, 8:35 p.m. Eastern) so you don't have to stay up til the wee hours to catch the entire game. The Nats, by the way, will be wearing throwback 1936 Senators uniforms. Enjoy…
NATIONALS at PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 8:35 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 65 degrees, Wind 7 mph LF to RF
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats call up Schierholtz, send Taylor back to AAA
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak