Jun 12, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to win this series from the Padres at Petco Park.
Two amazing things to consider about the Nationals right now: 1) Their last three wins (and five of their last eight wins) have all been by a score of 2-1, and 2) Ten games into this West Coast trip, they've yet to commit one error. Here's another impressive note to consider: A victory today would send the Nats home with a 6-5 record on this road trip. Not bad, all things considered.
With Jordan Zimmermann (seven straight quality starts) on the mound, the Nationals have to like their chances today. They will, however, be fielding a depleted lineup. Ian Desmond is sitting with a sore thigh (you might have noticed him struggling a bit to get around the bases last night) and Roger Bernadina is again out with a sore hamstring.
Jim Riggleman is going with the unconventional, new lineup again. Jayson Werth leads off. Zimmermann hits eighth. Alex Cora, starting at shortstop in Desmond's place, bats ninth.
Enjoy the final game of the trip — I'll be back covering the team live and in person Tuesday against the Cardinals…
NATIONALS at PADRES
Where: Petco Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 67 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
RF Jayson Werth
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Laynce Nix
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter
- Span scores three runs for Hagerstown in minor league rehab game
- Doug Fister pitches in Viera, timetable for return set
- Bryce Harper back in Nats’ lineup to face Cardinals
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers making noise
- Nationals dominating opponents late in games