Jun 13, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jerry Hairston and others filled in admirably while Ryan Zimmerman was on the DL.
Mike Rizzo stood in the home dugout at Nationals Park on the morning of April 30, having just announced Ryan Zimmerman would be having surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle, trying to maintain a positive outlook despite the challenge that was now facing his club.
“We’re going to continue to play without Ryan,” the Nationals general manager said. “He’s a huge part of our ballclub, but we’re going to have to find ways to win games without him.”
Six weeks later, Zimmerman is on the verge of returning to the Nationals lineup. After playing in five rehab games at three different levels of the club’s farm system, the third baseman is expected to be activated off the disabled list before Tuesday’s game against the Cardinals, the start of a nine-game homestand.
Somehow, some way, the Nationals have managed to win their fair share of games in his absence, going 27-31 since the day he suffered the muscle tear sliding into second base at New York’s Citi Field.
A .466 winning percentage may not be anything to crow about, but for a Nationals club that boasts one of the sport’s least-productive lineups,
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels