Jun 14, 2011, 1:12 PM EDT
Thursday, 7:05 p.m. — RHP Kyle Lohse (7-3, 2.67) vs. LHP John Lannan (4-5, 3.60)
TV: MASN Radio: WJFK-106.7 FM, WFED-1500 AM
A rash of injuries, including several to key players, has left the Cardinals unable to field their Opening Day lineup for all but four games this season. So, clearly, they must be languishing at or near the bottom of the NL Central, right? Uh, not exactly. Until a three-game sweep at the hands of the Brewers over the weekend, St. Louis held a stranglehold on first place in the division.
How has Tony La Russa managed to pull that off? Start with the National League's best offense (.274 batting average, .347 OBP, .764 OPS) despite the prolonged absences of Matt Holliday, David Freese and Skip Schumaker and (until recently) an under-performing Albert Pujols. Lance Berkman has been a godsend, hitting .317 with 16 homers, 46 RBI and a 1.050 OPS. (Holliday, by the way, is expected to come off the DL in time for Thursday's series finale.)
Add a solid starting rotation that has withstood Adam Wainwright's Tommy John surgery and Chris Carpenter's ineffectiveness. KyleRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game
- Harper, Escobar, Span all out of Nats lineup again