Jun 15, 2011, 5:29 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond and Jayson Werth celebrate the Nats’ come-from-behind win.
Trying to single out one key moment or one key player from the Nationals’ 8-6 victory over the Cardinals Tuesday night might be a fruitless exercise. There were, quite simply, more contributors and more moments of significance than can be remembered.
But if there is one plate appearance to remember from this wholly entertaining, come-from-behind win, it would have to be Laynce Nix’s bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the seventh.
A bases-loaded walk? Key to the game? You better believe it. In fouling off six pitches from St. Louis reliever Jason Motte, then finally laying off a 3-2 fastball out of the zone on the 11th pitch he saw, Nix not only drove in the go-ahead run but he left Nationals Park thumping with as much energy as this place had seen since the last time Stephen Strasburg pitched.
“Probably the biggest at-bat of the night,” teammate Jayson Werth said. “That was the difference in the game.”
Heavy praise for one of only 12 at-bats during a stirring rally that featured four singles, a double, three walks, a hit batter and a wild
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle