Jun 15, 2011, 9:42 PM EDT
Gorzelanny will be activated off the disabled list Sunday and will start this weekend’s series finale against the Orioles, while Maya has been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse and replaced by reliever Collin Balester, manager Jim Riggleman said.
Gorzelanny has been on the 15-day DL since May 24 after complaining of soreness in his throwing elbow, but after two weeks of rest he made a four-inning rehab start Monday night at Syracuse and pronounced himself healthy.
“I felt strong out there,” he said Tuesday. “It was a good one, it was definitely needed to get my legs back under me. All in all, I felt really good out there.”
Gorzelanny will take the rotation spot Maya had taken after the former got hurt. The Cuban right-hander slogged his way through
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1