Jun 15, 2011, 9:42 PM EDT
Gorzelanny will be activated off the disabled list Sunday and will start this weekend’s series finale against the Orioles, while Maya has been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse and replaced by reliever Collin Balester, manager Jim Riggleman said.
Gorzelanny has been on the 15-day DL since May 24 after complaining of soreness in his throwing elbow, but after two weeks of rest he made a four-inning rehab start Monday night at Syracuse and pronounced himself healthy.
“I felt strong out there,” he said Tuesday. “It was a good one, it was definitely needed to get my legs back under me. All in all, I felt really good out there.”
Gorzelanny will take the rotation spot Maya had taken after the former got hurt. The Cuban right-hander slogged his way through
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats favorites in National League? (VIDEO)