Jun 15, 2011, 9:42 PM EST
Gorzelanny will be activated off the disabled list Sunday and will start this weekend’s series finale against the Orioles, while Maya has been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse and replaced by reliever Collin Balester, manager Jim Riggleman said.
Gorzelanny has been on the 15-day DL since May 24 after complaining of soreness in his throwing elbow, but after two weeks of rest he made a four-inning rehab start Monday night at Syracuse and pronounced himself healthy.
“I felt strong out there,” he said Tuesday. “It was a good one, it was definitely needed to get my legs back under me. All in all, I felt really good out there.”
Gorzelanny will take the rotation spot Maya had taken after the former got hurt. The Cuban right-hander slogged his way through
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon