Jun 15, 2011, 9:42 PM EDT
Gorzelanny will be activated off the disabled list Sunday and will start this weekend’s series finale against the Orioles, while Maya has been optioned to Class AAA Syracuse and replaced by reliever Collin Balester, manager Jim Riggleman said.
Gorzelanny has been on the 15-day DL since May 24 after complaining of soreness in his throwing elbow, but after two weeks of rest he made a four-inning rehab start Monday night at Syracuse and pronounced himself healthy.
“I felt strong out there,” he said Tuesday. “It was a good one, it was definitely needed to get my legs back under me. All in all, I felt really good out there.”
Gorzelanny will take the rotation spot Maya had taken after the former got hurt. The Cuban right-hander slogged his way through
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort